How to choose the right flies?

I
IKfish
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a trout fly tackle box but don't know which one to choose. Thought someone here may help me figure this out. So the question is-if it's you, which one will you choose, pic A/B/C?

• photo32391.jpg
B
BrandonBeach
This kind or simular:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxcatch-Wate...6823532&sr=1-8

Waterproof, hold lots of flys, they float and you can see though the lids. Saves time when multiple boxes are involved..

HINT:
(put your contact info in them, helps to get them back when you drop them in the river..)

BB

Casting Call
Casting Call
BrandonBeach;n612183 said:
This kind or simular:

Waterproof, hold lots of flys, they float and you can see though the lids. Saves time when multiple boxes are involved..

HINT:
(put your contact info in them, helps to get them back when you drop them in the river..)

BB
Buy one that fits your needs! Salmon, trout, etc. etc. Tony
Buy one that fits your needs​

I
IKfish
BrandonBeach;n612183 said:
This kind or simular:

HINT:

BB

Actually I'm choosing the flies with a tackle box, not the tackle box. :friendly_wink: Not sure which one is better.

I
IKfish
Casting Call;n612197 said:
Buy one that fits your needs! Salmon, trout, etc. etc. Tony
Buy one that fits your needs​

Yes, you're right. But i'm new to fly fishing, hoping that some of experienced fisherman would give me more info on what to look for before the purchase.

B
BrandonBeach
IKfish;n612205 said:
Actually I'm choosing the flies with a tackle box, not the tackle box. :friendly_wink: Not sure which one is better.

I misunderstood. I thought you were asking for a "trout fly tackle box", an empty one..

To recommend types of flys for you to buy is a VERY complicated conversation.

Many questions would first need to be answered, type of fish, time of year, method of fly fishing, specific location and even time of day or even specific weather conditions come into play here.

I will only comment here on fly boxes (empty ones). The first type of boxes I used were the expensive aluminum type. They were not waterproof or see through. Over the years I have sold off all fifteen or so of those type, some were collectible, in favor of those aforementioned (much cheaper) clear plastic types.

Just my view, from a few decades of fly fishing..

Good luck, wish I could help you more, sorry..

BB

Reactions: IKfish
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Like BrandonBeach said the actual flies are dependent on a lot of things. For the areas that I fish I would probably go with box C. I like the colors of the flies and it looks like there is a nice array of nymphs and dry flies. That box seems to fit the areas that I tend to fish. High alpine likes and small streams chasing trout. 1 box never seems to be enough. I have 6 of them that I carry in my vest of various sizes.

Reactions: IKfish