4-20 lbs medium fishing rod uses?

M
motaha
I have a 4-20lbs Medium 9' rod. Can I use this rod for trout, panfish, bass, and steelhead with just changing the reel/line from 6lb to 12lb?

C_Run
C_Run
You would have more fun with the smaller fish on a smaller rod. It sounds fine for steelhead. I would go with a light or ultra light if you budget permits.

Reactions: Raincatcher
P
pinstriper
Would probably do fine from a jetty.

troutdude
troutdude
C_Run;n609676 said:
You would have more fun with the smaller fish on a smaller rod. It sounds fine for steelhead. I would go with a light or ultra light if you budget permits.

X2.

The short answer is, one rod isn't the best (for all species). You'll barely feel, a trout on the end. And it's very overkill, for panfish. I use, for example, a 5' hollow ultra light Lamiglas Supreme glass rod, for panfish. But I've been fishing, for over 50 years. So I've accumulated, all sorts of rods. Different rods, to match the type of fishing.

But if it's the only one that you have, it'll do. Until you can invest, in other rods. Which, is part of the fishing addiction! ha ha

Good luck & tight lines.

C
colt
I would stick with steelhead and possibly salmon with that rod. If thats what you are starting with, then get started with it but be a bit big for all other applications. Biggest i have for bass is 7'2". Could also catfish and sturgeon fish it. Yes, sturgeon. I have watched a guy hook and land more sturgeon on steelhead type gear over heavy gear.

4labs
4labs
Went to a lamiglas 9-6 light to med for trout at crane prairie and will use it for most of my toplinnig rigs even for kok's at wickiup.
We were launching last yr at wickiup when 2 guys came in and I asked them how was it . One of the gentlemen said they were there only for trout and were loading to head to CP. Told him I never fished CP and what do you use said first you need a 9-6 rod well I had to park the trailer and the wife held the boat he kept talking to her and told her all about what they use.
When I got back asked her what he said and course she said "I wasn't listening to him" . About the only thing she remembered is he said the 9-6 gets the line away from the boat .
Gave me another excuse to buy some more poles.

Reactions: colt
C
colt
4labs;n609686 said:
When I got back asked her what he said and course she said "I wasn't listening to him" .
Gave me another excuse to buy some more poles.

That is typical, isn't it? Of course, if you do end up needing a new rod and reel, then a darn good excuse would be "we talked about it the other day. I dont think you were listening. You didn't seem to mind the idea."

haha!

K
Komatoast
honey you said yu wanted to learn to to fish so i got you this Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 3000 FB HG Spinning reel with front drag and this super duper St. Croix Triumph rod.... you will love it.. hehe