Your favorite trout rig/setup?

I
igquick
I'm about to go trout fishing soon and I haven't had any luck yet, but what is your favorite trout fishing rig/setup?

EOBOY
EOBOY
where you going? Lake, Stream? If I was going to a lake I'd fish on the bottom or with a Bobber, I have a 2 rod endorsement, so I would do both. If a stream worm on a flasher till dusk then, flies.

troutdude
troutdude
But I also have a 2 rod license. So I'll also toss Little Cleo and / or Thomas Buoyant spoons, and Fire Tiger Rooster Tails.

Reactions: Troutski
W
Willerman
Lake - garlic powerbait/eggs off the bottom. River - brown w/ gold blade roostertail cast upstream

P
pinstriper
Lake: marshmallows or worm OFF the bottom (use an inflator on the worms), pull a rooster tail or similar spinner while watching the other rod)

troutdude
troutdude
Willerman;n605782 said:
Lake - garlic powerbait/eggs off the bottom.

Because the fish, are Italian immigrants.

But seriously...

their hatchery food, is laced w/ garlic.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
For lakes I like a garlic marshmallow just above a worm off of the bottom.

For streams I like to drift a worm with minimal weight, if I am allowed. Otherwise I like to pull panther martins.

Of course this means that I don't have my fly rod handy :)

troutdude
troutdude
TheKnigit;n605791 said:
For streams I like to drift a worm with minimal weight, if I am allowed.

Word. I used to catch lots of trout, that way. Often with just the worm, and no weight at all. Drop it into the head of a pool, and let it drift into the pocket. BAM!

P.S. One or two Pautzke's eggs, work much the same.

M
montym
Ah, is this our carp master igquick or an imposter? My favorite lures for trouts are castmasters and I've always thought you had pointed me to them as something that works for you! Must be one of my imaginary memories...

Reactions: igquick
hobster
hobster
nymph and trailer or dry fly with a dropper :D

Reactions: Southpaw and Ballgame
I
igquick
montym said:
Ah, is this our carp master igquick or an imposter? My favorite lures for trouts are castmasters and I've always thought you had pointed me to them as something that works for you! Must be one of my imaginary memories...

Thanks for the replies yall I really appreciate it

Still trying to figure out this dang tapatalk!!!

Anyways, also trying to figure out how to tag montym; but to montym how are you? I haven't had kastmasters with me for a while so maybe that is why I been skunking lately...honestly my wife and I have just been wanting to catch fish off the kayaks

Minus my few carp spots that are a few hours away, we've managed to catch TONS of fish kayaking up and down the Willamette literally everywhere. Techniques included retrieving very slowly, or trolling the same small crappie red white tube jig

W
wils
Check the regs for using bait in streams and rivers. some are lures and flies only.

troutdude
troutdude
wils;n605803 said:
Check the regs for using bait in streams and rivers. some are lures and flies only.

Great advice. Particularly the McKenzie, Metolius, and Deschutes inland; and most of our Coastal streams are highly regulated.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
For lake fishing this is what I use. I have replaced the lead weights with an ajust-a-bubble. I place it above my swivel so it flows freely, then depending on how deep I am I go with from 2 to 6 ft of leader and about a number 6 or 8 single egg hook and just enough power bait to cover the hook. Since the bobber can be filled with water it acts as a casting weight but once in the water their is only the weight of the plastic and unlike lead it will hang up higher in the weeds/moss putting your bait up where it can be seen. Once in the water and it has settled I leave some belly in the line. Now here is the hard part, I don't set the hook. One the pole is set down I leave it alone, normally in a pole holder and when the fish tries to drag you pole into the water the second time he usually has set it him/her self. Here is the reason behind it, with the small amount of bait the hook has less chance of pulling out and 98%+ of your hook ups will be throat hook ups so if you don't want the fish, don't take it out of the water and cut the line. I also clean the scent off my hands before I bait up, I take some power bait...make a small ball and roll it around in my hands then toss that away and then I bait up. Do this after every couple of hook ups. I have a fish finder and I like to place my bait about in the middle of where the fish are holding and I will sometimes use up to three anchors to keep the boat from swinging to bad. I stumbled onto this system at Diamond Lake about 15 years ago and have used it exclusively since then and I out fish a lot of people.

DLC

Reactions: 95fordranger and troutdude
I
igquick
Thanks! You must own Diamond Lake

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Not really, I have been fishing it since they put in hwy 138 back in 54 with the exception of when I was in the Navy. It is my favorite lake and only a bit over 60 miles to drive to.

troutdude
troutdude
Since '54??? Yep. You own it!

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Answer me this then, If and I say IF I own that lake why does it always cost me to fish there???:hi:

Reactions: troutdude
I
igquick
Maybe the money goes back to your bank account