Waldo Lake

U
Utahutes
Planning on going in couple days. I have never been there looking for suggestions. Plan on taking spinng rod and maybe Fly Rod. Most likely will be fishing from shore may take float tub along. Just wondering on some locations and lures that you would use .Thanks

K
killigan
Waldo Lake, one of my favorite lakes in Oregon. Second deepest lake in Oregon, also one of the clearest and cleanest lakes here as well, it truly is a natural beauty. That being said, it can be challenging to fish. The lake had it's fish stocking program ended back in 1990 and has to rely on the natural reproduction. I have fished it, with limited success from shore. I tend to fish Charlton Lake right next to Waldo Lake. It has better bank access, and I have been told that the Brook trout that are caught in the Gold Lake fish trap, are taken out and relocated to Charlton Lake. A fly rod here would be my first choice, and if available, a float tube/pontoon would be helpful. Mosquito's can be relentless up there, plan accordingly. Good Luck!

Brandon

Reactions: troutdude
Troutski
Troutski
PM sent...

Chuck

J
JeepsAreBuilt
killigan;n605596 said:
Waldo Lake, one of my favorite lakes in Oregon. Second deepest lake in Oregon, also one of the clearest and cleanest lakes here as well, it truly is a natural beauty. That being said, it can be challenging to fish. The lake had it's fish stocking program ended back in 1990 and has to rely on the natural reproduction. I have fished it, with limited success from shore. I tend to fish Charlton Lake right next to Waldo Lake. It has better bank access, and I have been told that the Brook trout that are caught in the Gold Lake fish trap, are taken out and relocated to Charlton Lake. A fly rod here would be my first choice, and if available, a float tube/pontoon would be helpful. Mosquito's can be relentless up there, plan accordingly. Good Luck!

Brandon

What is this fish trap you speak of ? I went fishing at Gold lake last year late summer(of '16) and could not see any other fish than little tiny ones. I thought the lake was completely fished out or something. But, I did not reach the other end of the lake where the bog is.. as I was in a float tube.

K
killigan
JeepsAreBuilt;n605646 said:
What is this fish trap you speak of ? I went fishing at Gold lake last year late summer(of '16) and could not see any other fish than little tiny ones. I thought the lake was completely fished out or something. But, I did not reach the other end of the lake where the bog is.. as I was in a float tube.

I'm not sure when the trap is put in, or taken out, or even if ODFW still has that program going. According to ODFW website under Gold Lake, they are still sampling the lake using a Oneida Lake Trap: ODFW sampled the lake last week using an Oneida Lake Trap. The largest fish we captured in our trap were a 16.5 inch rainbow, and a 14.5 inch brook trout, but there was a report of a 22 inch rainbow landed the week prior to the sampling effort. Fishing was good, the view of Diamond Peak was breathtaking, and anglers seemed very happy.

S
samuelboi
How was the trip then?

Troutski
Troutski
Pictures, we want pictures...

Chuck