Clackamas River, fishing and camping

Z
Zoso
a close buddy of mine and me are trying to go down to the clackamas river to fish for the day and camp over night our range is from estacada to ripplebrook. Any suggestions of good campgrounds we can fish from our campaite? We are looking into promontory camp ground, but wouldn't mind going more south. We will be doing trout fishing and plan on going next week sometime. Any suggestions?

Z
Zoso
Also it would be a bonus if we could kayak around this spot of the river and fish too!

F
fishkilla
I believe this section of clackamas is closed until memorial weekend for trout fishing but you can make the drive to harriet lake, awesome lake with stocked rainbows and some native browns as well. Its probably a 25-30min drive from promontory and has camping there too.

Z
Zoso
It says the clackamas is closed until may 23. We were planning on going down the 23-24

F
fishkilla
yep you are correct just checked.

Z
Zoso
Also they are stocking north fork this week an next so I think at the very least I would be fine with promontory campground in north fork

S
smoky
I would suggest harriet lake. I went last year and had some of the best fishing I've ever had out of my pontoon boat. I can't wait to make it out there a giant this year. And they have brook trout which I haven't caught yet but really want too.

Z
Zoso
^^^ camping doesn't start at Harriet lake till the 26th. I'm trying to go the 23rd

F
fishkilla
Been going to harriet for past 2 months already, easily accessible and saw people camping, even got couple rainbows out, probably holdovers from last year as they were on the chunkier side

Z
Zoso
We have decided to to camp at armstrong campground. Fish our way down at faraday and north fork, and maybe a little at our campsite. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Golfbum
Golfbum
Any news on when North Fork will open? Went by today both boat ramps closed.

Z
Zoso
North fork souls open this week and faraday next week. Estacada this week as well. I'm fine with catch and release. just going to work my way down the clackamas river and camp at the end

Z
Zoso
So we are planning on stopping by both estacada lake and north fork. Is there a lot of shoreline fishing spots at both of these lakes? We are debating on bring the kayaks but would prefer to save the space in the truck. Never been and the banks look kind of steep.