Long Tom confluence

S
STURGEON FEAR
whats the quickest way to get to where the long tom dumps into the willamette?

C
clint14ufford
Did you ever have this question from 7 years ago answered?

B
Billamicasr
Wow, that's an old thread... for those looking for any directions I've found it best to visit Google then click on the "maps" link and ask my question. https://www.google.com/maps

If you use the search words Long Tom River, OR, you get a map that's rather close to the confluence. Just follow the river to see it empties in to the Willy below Harrisburg. Looks like the best access may be a pretty good walk whether you come in off Peoria Rd or the other side of the river off Hwy 99. And, it could be the walk would put you on private property.

May be the best access is by canoe, kayak, raft or boat; launching at Irish Bend County park then taking out at the town of Peoria. I've never done that stretch, so a bit of further research would be wise. Not sure if there is a boat launch or retrieval site in Peoria. Then again the take out and the put in would be on opposite sides of the river requiring a bit if a drive to set up your shuttle.

Reactions: Troutski
D
DrTheopolis
The mouth is in Monroe. I worked right there, but I guess it's been long enough that I don't remember much. I believe there's a water treatment plant very near there (which is where I was working) -- if so, and you can find the city guys, they might be cool with you accessing it from there.

D
Dustin0718
Where the long tom dumps into the willamette, is indeed private land, however the farmers dont mind if you fish there. Where i have fished is actually not even the technical confluence, but is actually the confluence with PART of the willamette river. there is a still flowing channel that splits off and the long tom dumps into that channel. From google maps the channel looks small, but is actually very deep and fast flowing. the hole all the way out in the channel at the confluence is rather deep and still gets reports of caught legal sturgeon on occasion (note this is in the only stretch of the river that allows retention in the state of oregon still).
To get there you can turn left on Old River rd. off highway 99, follow it over a bridge and take the next sharp left turn onto bundy rd. Follow Bundy rd. until you go over another bridge. Just on the other side is a area you can pull off the side of the gravel road to park. There will be a worn out trail that is commonly overgrown early in the year. Follow this and you will find a little area where you can set up camp chairs and fish right at the confluence. link will be below from google maps if you dont get that description.
I have fished here about 4 times. Had one hook up with something large but it broke off. other wise caught a few large northern pikeminnow and carp. Ive never received grief from any farmers, but have instead been asked once by one of the land owner how i did (fishing).
Bring some 3-5 oz. weights as the current is fairly strong here.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/273...97997d!2m2!1d-123.288913!2d44.38216!1m0?hl=en

Reactions: goodie619
T
TeamDoberman
Dustin0718;n599178 said:
Where the long tom dumps into the willamette, is indeed private land, however the farmers dont mind if you fish there. Where i have fished is actually not even the technical confluence, but is actually the confluence with PART of the willamette river. there is a still flowing channel that splits off and the long tom dumps into that channel. From google maps the channel looks small, but is actually very deep and fast flowing. the hole all the way out in the channel at the confluence is rather deep and still gets reports of caught legal sturgeon on occasion (note this is in the only stretch of the river that allows retention in the state of oregon still).
To get there you can turn left on Old River rd. off highway 99, follow it over a bridge and take the next sharp left turn onto bundy rd. Follow Bundy rd. until you go over another bridge. Just on the other side is a area you can pull off the side of the gravel road to park. There will be a worn out trail that is commonly overgrown early in the year. Follow this and you will find a little area where you can set up camp chairs and fish right at the confluence. link will be below from google maps if you dont get that description.
I have fished here about 4 times. Had one hook up with something large but it broke off. other wise caught a few large northern pikeminnow and carp. Ive never received grief from any farmers, but have instead been asked once by one of the land owner how i did (fishing).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/273...97997d!2m2!1d-123.288913!2d44.38216!1m0?hl=en

You can retain Sturgeon above willamatte falls 365 days a year. Retain right from mololla state park if you like

Reactions: goodie619
D
Dustin0718
TeamDoberman;n599241 said:
You can retain Sturgeon above willamatte falls 365 days a year. Retain right from mololla state park if you like

Yes i meant to state that, rather than just this stretch. Falls up to harrisburgs' highway 99 bridge. My bad!

plumbertom
plumbertom
Dustin0718;n599178 said:
Where the long tom dumps into the willamette, is indeed private land, however the farmers dont mind if you fish there.

I have been to this location and briefly walked to the rivers edge.
However I was concerned that I was on private land, so I never tried to fish there.
It also appeared to me as if much of the accessible bank area just down from the actual mouth of the Long Tom was severely undermined and likely unsafe.
If you try fishing there I recommend caution.

G
goodie619
TeamDoberman;n599241 said:

in mololla state park, you have any suggestions to where to fish the river in the park?

jhop111
jhop111
Looking at google earth, I'd bet the river is fairly even in depth from bank to bank . The mouth of the Molalla seems shallow. Id personally fish below the mouth where it drops off the delta into the main river. Sturgeon roam around like cows in a field, find a place where its not snaggy with debris, and throw 10oz out there and wait. Might take 12 or more to keep from rolling if there is good current. Pinch your barbs and throw em back so we can catch them again.