Larger bank sturgeon

D
dcarbonari
Are there any places where you have a better chance to catch some larger sturgeon from the bank? I've had some luck catching smaller ones about 2-3ft pretty consistently behind my school and one 4.5ft. Is it possible to get some of the larger sturgeon from the bank (if so where) or is a boat needed? Thanks for any advice you have :)

F
fish4life
The dock on the West Linn side off the Willamette river below the falls, bring plenty of gear can be snaggy here. Anything from shakers to oversize fish in this spot. One of my favorite baits is herring, the smaller size ones, fish a whole or a half one. other baits that work well are sandshrimp, anchovies, smelt, squid, and roll mop. If the water is high don't cast out far fish will be closer in, you will need 8-10oz sinkers, good luck

Reactions: dcarbonari
M
mustardthetrout
The Gilbert River after April 15 can sometimes produce large fish from the banks. Lots of shakers especially close to shore but the river does hold larger fish many of which can be caught from the bank. Last fall I caught one at around 5 feet on a worm fished from the bank. I was expecting to catch catfish so you could imagine that was a surprise! I always forget that sturgeon love worms!

Reactions: dcarbonari
D
Dastanli
How heavy of a tackle do you guys use for bank fishing sturgeon? I have a 6'6" medium rod attached to a abu spinning reel with about 150 yards of 30lb braid. I just heard about the dock in West Linn near the falls from a guy I talked to at a pond I was fishing at last weekend.

B
BaldTexan
Dastanli said:
How heavy of a tackle do you guys use for bank fishing sturgeon? I have a 6'6" medium rod attached to a abu spinning reel with about 150 yards of 30lb braid. I just heard about the dock in West Linn near the falls from a guy I talked to at a pond I was fishing at last weekend.

You'll need heavier gear at West Linn. The water is deep, shaggy, and heavy current. The average sturgeon you'll hook out there is 4' to 5' and chance of bigger fish. I use a heavy weight rod with 100 lb braid and 7/0 hooks. I've had really big fish break the braid and have had several straighten out 7/0 hooks. You can successfully catch the smaller ones on light gear but there are a lot of oversized in there. Enjoy the wrestling match

D
Dastanli
Wow, sounds like a good reason to go get new fishing gear hahaha! Thanks for all the great info! Can't wait to hook into one now. Just got to wait for my day off and good weather to line up and i'll be out there.

D
dcarbonari
Thanks for the help been catching quite a few at West Linn recently. Both were a great fight and released without harm. First one slightly over 6ft second just under 50".

• photo1.JPG
  • photo.JPG
Aervax
Aervax
That is awesome! Now you are in real trouble. All of your free time is going to be spent on the W. Haha.

D
dcarbonari
Haha all my free time and all my money in lead

D
Dastanli
Is the West Linn docks still open for C&R sturgeon? I can't find any info on it.

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Dastanli;n604873 said:
Is the West Linn docks still open for C&R sturgeon? I can't find any info on it.

The dock is open year round, however sturgeon is closed from falls downstream to railroad bridge. [h=2]Willamette River[/h]
Mouth upstream to Willamette Falls including Multnomah Channel/Willamette Slough/and Gilbert River
  • Open for hatchery Chinook salmon and hatchery steelhead all year.
  • Open for hatchery coho salmon Aug 1 – Oct 31.
  • 10 walleye per day, of which no more than 5 may be over 18 inches, and only one over 24 inches per day.
  • Use of bait allowed.
  • The Gilbert River is Closed Jan 1 – Apr 15 and Oct 1 – Dec 31.
  • Catch-and-release only for sturgeon.
  • Angling for sturgeon is prohibited from May 1 – Aug 31 from the Lake Oswego-Oak Grove Railroad Bridge upstream to Willamette Falls.

D
Dastanli
Man... So no angling at all for sturgeon at all right now till Sept 1st of that dock and anywhere near that place... Need to find another bank to fish off of that's closer to Salem.

D
dcarbonari
Even though it's closed for strugeon it's a pretty good spot for smallies won't be crowded either