Wilson River Fishing Reports

C
cddunn
I'm happy to have finally cleared the month and a half long skunk session today on the Wilson River. Not the biggest or brightest, but it's a steelhead. Maribou nightmare jig under a float above Smith homestead.

Wilson River Fishing Reports

Reactions: Wilsonriverfisher
Aervax
Aervax

Wilson River Fishing Report​

We just finished one of those epic steelhead trips whose stories will be passed down through the generations of our families. I had a crew of 6 pals fly in from Kentucky and NorCal to fish together on the rivers in the Tillamook basin for 2 days. Our group of 7 anglers and 4 guides fished for 2 days. We landed around 35 "bullets", and fought and lost another 25, or so. Rather than telling every detail, I will let the pics do the talking.

Wilson River Fishing Report

That may not seem like huge numbers to some of you hardcore "Steelie Philes", but 3 in my crew were steelhead virgins, and I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to steel. The Wilson had also already passed its sweet spot and was slipping below 5 feet. Conditions were decent, not ideal. The group declared it one of there funnest angling trips of all time and started planning the next trip there in 2019 before we even left the coast. The head guide did an amazing job of compiling great guides with the perfect chemistry for my raucous group of pals. A HUGE shout out to Tanner "OnTheDrop" Ketterling for putting together a magical trip for us. Thank you again T!!! Let's do a repeat in 2019.

Wilson River Fishing

The final page of any great angling adventure deserves to end with a glass of great Kentucky bourbon and a cigar, while overlooking Oregon's unsurpassed scenery. Cheers my friends.....

imagejpeg_0_3.jpg

Reactions: Admin and colt
EOBOY
EOBOY
You must have had fun being with your buds. Picked the best guide to set it up too:peace:

B
billfisher
Great outing with out of state friends! Kudo's to You and Tanner! That's something to brag about for sure!

troutdude
troutdude
It appears as though you may have also reeled in...a dog salmon too! (The devil made me, do it...ha ha)

Looks like a great time, for all. That Tanner dude appears to know, what he's doin'. :thumb:

C_Run
C_Run
Great report and congratulations!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent.

Artwo
Artwo
That's sounds like an awesome trip all around......................:thumb:

G
Gulfstream
Killer!

hobster
hobster
Epic, well done!

Aervax
Aervax
Thank you for the compliments gents. Is anyone out there kayak fishing for steelhead on the coastal rivers? I want to give it a try sometime, especially when the water is skinny and and less accessible to drifters. Thoughts?

M
markasd
Seeing em a bit more.. used to use a pontoon and use an inflatable yak from time to time, kinda missin' that pontoon these days. Can hit nearly the same waters with the toon, maybe a tiny bit skinnier on the yak. Hard to take more than one rod - but find space limited.
Have fun with it.

C
cobias
Wow ! Such a bountiful trip in what is looking to be a very slow season . I don't get up north much and have only made a couple of trips in my area to no avail .I can usually scratch out a fish or two in peak season. Word on the river is that its a very slow season . Almost unbelievable that someone could hook 60 fish in two days anywhere these days .I know the Wilson has been hot in past years. Hadn't heard much about it as of late. I guess it helps to have 4 guides with you. What guides were you fishing with and are they local ? Again, bravo. Great to hear the news in slow times.

O
OnTheDrop
Thanks for the kind words, Eric. I always have fun fishing you and company.

cobias;n610037 said:
Wow ! Such a bountiful trip in what is looking to be a very slow season . I don't get up north much and have only made a couple of trips in my area to no avail .I can usually scratch out a fish or two in peak season. Word on the river is that its a very slow season . Almost unbelievable that someone could hook 60 fish in two days anywhere these days .I know the Wilson has been hot in past years. Hadn't heard much about it as of late. I guess it helps to have 4 guides with you. What guides were you fishing with and are they local ? Again, bravo. Great to hear the news in slow times.

It has been a "tougher season" compared to years past, but years past have been stupid good. It looks like we may experience this for a bit longer, we'll see. I kind of like it when it gets slow out there, it's easier to spread apart from others and since EVERYONE looks for reports, instead of making them, 90% of people miss out on the good days.

Only one of the boats fished the Wilson out of those two days. ( Sorry, Eric ) I leave my boat right next to it, so I may have been a bit lazy last week. Worked out, though... I think that plug take down in the last few feet of the tailout was one of my favorites....:D

The other few boats were on other rivers in Tillamook County. Grant Rilette, Eliot Jenkins, and Jamison, the last guide we wrangled up were all helping out. All local.

Cheers~

Top Bottom