Where to go steelheading?

C_Run
C_Run
motaha;n609851 said:
Thanks, if you don't mind me asking, what about the Wilson river? I am trying to find spots for bank fishing using Google maps but that area isn't very clear.

Never been there. One thing that holds true on these rivers is that if there is a well worn parking spot with a trail through the brush and no "No Trespassing" signs or fences, there is probably a fishing hole right there, maybe multiple holes. I just found two new ones on the Alsea last week and I've been over there many times. Exploring is fun and rewarding.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I'm pretty sure there is a map of fishing spots on the Wilson buried in the archives.

M
motaha
I went to the Wilson yesterday and tried a couple of spots, unfortunately with no luck :D. I think the river is a bit low and the water is clear. The water was clear and I couldn't see any fish in the water, another angler told me that he used to see the fish when the water was that clear.

I was using the bobber and a jig/work sometimes my rod vibrates and the bobber goes below the water and when I try to set my hook I get nothing. So, was those fish that I couldn't hook or were they rocks that I got snagged at and just got free? Also, how can I tell the difference?

Casting Call
Casting Call
When you hook-set a fish you will know difference. Bobber down, reel, wait for the head shake then set the hook. GL Tony

Reactions: troutdude
N
Native Fisher
None of us can tell you if it was a fish or the bottom. When you set the hook make sure you are tight to the bobber before yanking. Giving it a jerk with slack or belly in the line does nothing but yank the jig out of the fishes mouth.

M
motaha
Ok, thanks. I just didn't know that the bottom can cause the bobber to go below the water line. I thought that the only time the bobber go below is when there is a fish.

troutdude
troutdude
If your OFFering gets snagged on anything, it'll go down. Not that such an occurrence, won't get your heart racing. Cuz it will! :D

Reactions: colt
D
DrTheopolis
As a general rule, if the top of the bobber goes down slowly while pointing downstream, it's hung up (adjust your bobber a little shallower, and try the drift again). If it stops, and sinks straight down, it's usually a fish. But quickly reel up your slack and set the hook in either case... just to be safe.

M
motaha
I am planning to go to the Clackamas river this weekend, ODFW report said that fishing should be good from Gladstone and upstream. However, I saw that the river's level near Gladstone/Barton is around 20ft. Can I fish for steelhead at that depth or should I look for something that is a bit shallower? Thanks

D
DrTheopolis
motaha;n610586 said:
around 20ft. Can I fish for steelhead at that depth or should I look for something that is a bit shallower? Thanks

First, for the Clack, I always go by the Estacada level, which is right around 13 feet. For bank fishing, 13 or less is ideal. The Clack is several times bigger than the Wilson, so the levels aren't as crucial in regards to low, clear water. Under 11 feet gets you into "stealth mode," but that won't be an issue until probably August. Anything over 13 or so makes bank fishing tougher (but still doable, up to about 14, but it's tough).

And when it says the level at Oregon City is 27 feet (about what it is now), it's an arbitrary spot where they stuck a measuring stick in the river. You may have noticed that it's shallower closer to the bank than the middle of the river (usually). It's all relative.

The river is on the drop -- go for it. Pick your spots. Bank access is tough on the Clack with all the private property, but there's still plenty. Lots of access around Barton (pay to park), and Eagle Creek (lots of wading at 13 feet). Riverside, Carver (same parking pass as Barton), McIver, and plenty in Gladstone.

M
motaha
Ok, thanks. What is best for this depth bobber, spinners, Carolina rig?

C_Run
C_Run
motaha;n610596 said:
Ok, thanks. What is best for this depth bobber, spinners, Carolina rig?

The fish are near the bottom usually.

A
AnglingAddictsPNW
Nobody can tell you the best depth to float.. the river bed isn’t flat and all at the same levels.. C_Run is right about them usually being near the bottom. So with that, if you are using a bobber float, you can adjust it, as to adjust the level you jig, bait, etc will be. Your bobber is obviously your indicator. Not just for fish strikes but it’s activity will also let you know when you are dragging along the bottom. If you can’t tell, then look at your jig, it will be missing paint on the jig head. As for spots, they can definitely be scarce on a lot of rivers. Barton has good access BUT the flood we had this year totally changed things and the water moves through there much quicker than it used to.
I have a video that pretty much explains where you want to cast lures to get them to the fish-level depth without freaking out the fish and chasing them off lol. I catch my limit in just over an hour