Where to go steelheading?

M
motaha
I am planning on going steelheading sometime next week. Any advice on where should I go and at what time of day?

Thanks,

troutdude
troutdude
It would help us to know, your general location (or area that you wan't to target)? Although you are pretty much only going to find winter runs in the Sandy, Clackamas, and coastal streams.

M
motaha
Well, I am in Portland. I am only able to do bank fishing, I have read that there are some spots on the Alsea and Siuslaw rivers.

C_Run
C_Run
Pick any coastal river and go. The fish are there. Just look at these graphs. The water has been high for a while and it's dropping into perfect shape in the next few days. https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/rfc/

Reactions: motaha
troutdude
troutdude
Yep. The Alsea and Siletz, are 2 of the coastal streams...referred to above. Go get 'em!

M
muskieguide
The Alsea is super slow. Too many tourists and not enough fish. Siletz is much better bet

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
up north is better, try the Wilson. or Nestucca.

hobster
hobster
:whs: If you are in Portland there is much better fishing closer to you. Look at the Tillamook area

M
motaha
Thanks for all the suggestions. Any advice on the time of the day? For good fishing/catches with low crowd. I will be going to either the Wilson or Nestucca rivers.

C
cddunn
What's wrong with the Clackamas or Sandy now?

M
markasd
Clack is slower than Siletz and Alsea - Wilson or The Wilson would be where I'd go..

EOBOY
EOBOY
markasd;n609580 said:
Clack is slower than Siletz and Alsea - Wilson or The Wilson would be where I'd go..

Yeah the Wilson should be good water, get there early to get your spot:D

troutdude
troutdude
From ODFW's Rec Report:

NESTUCCA RIVER AND THREE RIVERS: steelhead

Keep an eye on conditions. Bright colors and large presentation, as well as scent or bait are good bets when fishing high water. This is a great time of year to fish the Nestucca, as there are early run hatchery fish still around, as well as broodstock hatchery fish starting to show up.

Three Rivers should fish well late this week and into the weekend, and there are fish available. Float fishing jigs, beads, or bait, drift fishing, nymphing, and swinging flies or spinners are all good techniques.

troutdude
troutdude
WILSON RIVER: steelhead

This is a great time of year to fish the Wilson, as there are early run hatchery fish still around, as well as broodstock hatchery fish starting to show up. Bright colors and large presentation, as well as scent or bait are good bets when fishing high water.Float fishing jigs, beads, or bait, drift fishing, nymphing, and swinging flies or spinners are all good techniques.

Casting Call
Casting Call
As troutdude said Wilson ,wilson, and then theres the Wilson. Tony

troutdude
troutdude
Newest 'Tucca report:

The Nestucca is in great shape, and this last freshet brought in some fish. Fishing was good late last week, and conditions should remain fishable throughout the week. February is usually a great month on the Nestucca as there should be good numbers of hatchery steelhead showing up. Float fishing jigs, beads, or bait, drift fishing, nymphing, and swinging flies or spinners are all good techniques.

Three Rivers will be low and clear by the end of this week, but there should still be some fish available. Using light gear and stealthy techniques will help entice bites in low water conditions.

troutdude
troutdude
And the lasted, on the Wilson:

The Wilson dropped into prime shape late last week, and there was plenty of effort, and plenty of fish caught. It’s going to be a little on the low and clear side by the end of the week, but there are fish throughout the system and fresh hatchery fish still coming in. Float fishing jigs, beads, or bait, drift fishing, nymphing, and swinging flies or spinners are all good techniques.

M
motaha
Do you know where to bank fish on the Nestucca? Are Bob Straub State Park, or Nestucca Bay Wildlife Refuge good spots?

C_Run
C_Run
motaha;n609843 said:
Do you know where to bank fish on the Nestucca? Are Bob Straub State Park, or Nestucca Bay Wildlife Refuge good spots?

The bridges. Also look for pullouts with a trail. Lots of private property. Above Blaine, no bait. Fly and hardware only and less chance of catching a hatchery fish. The bay.... low odds.

M
motaha
C_Run;n609845 said:
The bridges. Also look for pullouts with a trail. Lots of private property. Above Blaine, no bait. Fly and hardware only and less chance of catching a hatchery fish. The bay.... low odds.

Thanks, if you don't mind me asking, what about the Wilson river? I am trying to find spots for bank fishing using Google maps but that area isn't very clear.