Where to go steelheading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motaha View Post

Thanks, if you don't mind me asking, what about the Wilson river? I am trying to find spots for bank fishing using Google maps but that area isn't very clear.
    Never been there. One thing that holds true on these rivers is that if there is a well worn parking spot with a trail through the brush and no "No Trespassing" signs or fences, there is probably a fishing hole right there, maybe multiple holes. I just found two new ones on the Alsea last week and I've been over there many times. Exploring is fun and rewarding.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there is a map of fishing spots on the Wilson buried in the archives.

Comment

I went to the Wilson yesterday and tried a couple of spots, unfortunately with no luck . I think the river is a bit low and the water is clear. The water was clear and I couldn't see any fish in the water, another angler told me that he used to see the fish when the water was that clear.

I was using the bobber and a jig/work sometimes my rod vibrates and the bobber goes below the water and when I try to set my hook I get nothing. So, was those fish that I couldn't hook or were they rocks that I got snagged at and just got free? Also, how can I tell the difference?

Comment

When you hook-set a fish you will know difference. Bobber down, reel, wait for the head shake then set the hook. GL Tony

Comment

None of us can tell you if it was a fish or the bottom. When you set the hook make sure you are tight to the bobber before yanking. Giving it a jerk with slack or belly in the line does nothing but yank the jig out of the fishes mouth.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I just didn't know that the bottom can cause the bobber to go below the water line. I thought that the only time the bobber go below is when there is a fish.

Comment

If your OFFering gets snagged on anything, it'll go down. Not that such an occurrence, won't get your heart racing. Cuz it will!

Comment

As a general rule, if the top of the bobber goes down slowly while pointing downstream, it's hung up (adjust your bobber a little shallower, and try the drift again). If it stops, and sinks straight down, it's usually a fish. But quickly reel up your slack and set the hook in either case... just to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                  X