Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a while, should I go Alsea or Siuslaw

Hey all
    Been a while since I posted here. I have not been able to fish or post here as often as I used to now that I am a dad. Mom and son are heading out of town next Friday and I have a rare weekend to myself, so what will I do? Go steelhead fishing of course. The question of the day is, should I hit Alsea or Siuslaw? I will be bank fishing and I am a bit more familiar with the Slaw but have been meaning to try the Alsea. I know its still early but I'm hoping the little bit of rain this week will bring some new fish into the system. What has been effective early in the season? Please help and feel free to DM me if u don't want to share, I won't tell

North fork of the alsea!

Comment

Went up to the Siuslaw yesterday. Got up there at sunrise. The drive was a bit scary with super dense fog. I have not had too much chance to explore, so that was the plan. I parked at one of the first creek crossings and geared up. The water was a high and fast but coming down. The creeks running into the slaw were clear, visibility in the river was terrible. At this first stop I swung my lil Cleo spoon and retrieved along the seam of clear/muddy water. Sure enough thatís where I found 2 natives! The first was a small native male about 18-20Ē. Super bright and just a bit of a pointy/hooked nose. He was released unharmed (and without a pic). The second was a female and smaller still (pictured), also promptly released after the pic. I worked my way downstream but didnít find much good access from the bank with the water so high. The only place I found a seam of clear water was that first stop. Beautiful day, I had a blast. What a great way to get back into steelhead fishing after a couple years off.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by willfishforfood View Post
        Went up to the Siuslaw yesterday. Got up there at sunrise. The drive was a bit scary with super dense fog. I have not had too much chance to explore, so that was the plan. I parked at one of the first creek crossings and geared up. The water was a high and fast but coming down. The creeks running into the slaw were clear, visibility in the river was terrible. At this first stop I swung my lil Cleo spoon and retrieved along the seam of clear/muddy water. Sure enough thatís where I found 2 natives! The first was a small native male about 18-20Ē. Super bright and just a bit of a pointy/hooked nose. He was released unharmed (and without a pic). The second was a female and smaller still (pictured), also promptly released after the pic. I worked my way downstream but didnít find much good access from the bank with the water so high. The only place I found a seam of clear water was that first stop. Beautiful day, I had a blast. What a great way to get back into steelhead fishing after a couple years off.
        Great pictures, and that's a beautiful cut-throat you got on that spoon. Those sea run cut throat have the prettiest spots!

Comment

That's not a "small" native hen. It's a very decent example of a coastal cutthroat.

Comment

Originally posted by willfishforfood View Post
            Nice pictures thanks for sharing. Looks like a great day.

Comment

Working...
            X