Floating the lower Sandy today

my2labs
my2labs
I'm assuming that there are no new obstacles like sweepers etc to report but if I see any, I'll report them when I return. A little early but hopefully she'll (my wife) get into one or two.

Anyone been out there yet this season?

my2labs
my2labs
And a question..... is there a specific place in the forum where obstacles are reported? This is my second year with a drift boat and while I solely floated the Sandy last year, I plan on branching out this season. I am however, very safety conscious and am always concerned about what's around the next bend (even in my familiar water)

D
DrTheopolis
I don't have good sources for the Sandy. But generally, the Sandy, Clack, Wilson, and all the popular rivers have people floating them every day, so hazards are reported and dealt with quickly.

A chain saw in the boat in winter isn't the worst idea.

my2labs
my2labs
Thank you for the reply and that makes sense.

Is there a specific place in this forum where people post about obstructions they find?

Also... for todays report....only three boats were on the sandy this morning. No fish as far as I know. We did not have any takes. However the water water was colored well and the level was nice. Nice float anyway.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
The Sandy is one of my favorite rivers. Do you go right or left at the big gravel island upstream from camp Collins? I noticed late last year a submerged tree on far left but should be fine at current water level, the far right can be sketchy with the 1st turn wanting to push you into the bank.

my2labs
my2labs
I go right. Never have gone left.

I should have mentioned that there are 2 huge logs balancing on rocks right under the bridge before the take out (at Glenn Otto Park). While there is ample room to miss them, they make me nervous. It would be possible to clip them if you stay to far right in the chute. I’m assuming they are too heavy to topple over but wouldnt want to be the guy to test that theory.