Girls gone fishin'!

A
ashiggins87
Howdy all!

Looking for some advice on planning a fishing & car camping trip with bunch of girlfriends (9 of us so far, but not sure who all REALLY wants to fish) end of May/beginning of June. We're all beginners at this and was wondering what you recommend we do as far as hiring a guide or renting our own boat. I figure we should start with angling, and my basic research says it's a good time for coho and maybe steelhead? Where do you suggest we go--again, 3-4 of us want to catch fish, the rest of em probably just want to be on a boat ;)

Thanks, Ashley

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
That seems really early in the year for Coho, but there might still be some spring Chinook and some summer Steelhead running around the state in various river systems. I know we have a couple of guides on the forum that might chime in. One problem you will have with 9 people is that most guides run 6-pack boats. Which means that they only take out a maximum of 6 passengers at 1 time. There are ocean charters that will carry more, but they typically chase bottom fish. You might consider trout fishing in lakes instead. Several of the larger lakes around Oregon have a boat rental place.

C_Run
C_Run
Yeah. Maybe look into going up to Odell Lake and going kokanee fishing with one of the guides there. That would be some easy fishing and probably some good catching for some novices.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
That is a good idea. Plus there are several other lakes within a decent driving distance that you could make trips to and fish. I believe both Diamond Lake and Lake of the Woods have boat rentals available as well.

C
ChezJfrey
TheKnigit;n602334 said:
That seems really early in the year for Coho, but there might still be some spring Chinook and some summer Steelhead running around the state in various river systems. I know we have a couple of guides on the forum that might chime in. One problem you will have with 9 people is that most guides run 6-pack boats. Which means that they only take out a maximum of 6 passengers at 1 time. There are ocean charters that will carry more, but they typically chase bottom fish. You might consider trout fishing in lakes instead. Several of the larger lakes around Oregon have a boat rental place.

You bring up a good point about the number of people vs. boat size. Most river fishing for steelhead I've seen is 3-4 to a boat, sometimes larger, but seems to me even the Columbia guide boats will typically only take about 6. And for novices, renting a boat to tool around on a lake is fine, but throw the requirement for fishing into the mix and a novice won't know much and more than likely to fail catching anything worthwhile. The kokanee at Odell suggestion from C_run is good, but again, unless one knows the traits/depths of those fish, they can be difficult to get into if you're fishing 20 ft. and they are hanging at 35'...downrigger knowledge?

If decent fishing is a requisite for a few of you, I think it best to inquire and try to find a guide that can handle that large a crowd...may not be that easy to find for 9 and may require a split into two parties.

jhop111
jhop111
If you're looking at Western Oregon, a charter boat for rockfish / salmon will be easiest. Talk to your group, get an exact count. If your looking at renting 1 boat, pontoons or house boats are available in larger reservoirs like Shasta, brownlee etc. May and June is springer season, and much to far in advance to know if there will be a ocean coho season or a worthwhile chinook season, which usually gets going in july for the ocean. If a few people don't want to fish, lots of touristy options on the coast and they won't have to pay good money just for a boat ride.

P
pinstriper
Might be a decent idea to swing by the sportsmen's show and troll the aisles where the guides are, looking for options. A lot of it will be out of staters marketing a trip, but there should be some local representation, and you can certainly collect ideas and suggestions.

L
LingFace
Sea state can be quite nice in June in Oregon. Those who just want a boat ride might go whale watching. Those who want to fish might do that. That would split the group for 5 hours though.

S
Stumpy
You have a personal message (PM).

L
LingFace
Also, some of the big lakes like Odell and diamond lakes have resorts with boat rental. Good fishing at both. Also they are scenic.

D
DrTheopolis
Might be helpful to know which part of the state you're in. If you're in Portland, Lake of the Woods is a long haul. Likewise, if you're in Medford, Billy Chinook is a stretch. But you can rent a houseboat on Billy Chinook. You can camp at Barton Park on the Clackmas, and get a guide from there (Bob Toman has a big sled, but not for 9).

So many options.

N
Native Fisher
Id recommend a bottom fishing charter, maybe out of Newport or Depoe Bay. They will do everything for you except reel in the fish.