All steelhead fishing lies

W
William Charles
hobster;n609320 said:
I disagree, I think there is a brotherhood to fishing. Nothing makes me happier while fishing than to see my buddies getting fish (as well as me) :) and I will be glad to share my knowledge with the right person.

I think you missed my point. There is a brotherhood to fishing, especially with friends. But it's no ones obligation to make sure EVERYONE catches fish. I'm happy to share info with my friends. My point is MOST of the time experienced, elite fisherman do not share specific info to strangers or folks new to the sport.

Part of the sport is earning your own respect for it. And as they discussed this same topic on the Northwest outdoor radio show, if you start out fishing and have all of the info handed to you, would you develop the same respect for the sport not going through the frustration of trial and error? They would say NOT. And I completely agree with that. If you look up two posts from what lobster run, the key word right their is "right" person. He's happy to share info with the "right person" That furthers my point. Not EVERYONE is going to get the proper info to catch, and that's how it is, and how it's always been.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I apologize if they came off the wrong way, but what I meant by there isn't a brotherhood to fishing I meant not all fisherman are in it together. You may be with your friends, as am I. But beyond that, I only tell beginners the basics, and that way go out forge their own destiny in fishing. They go out and learn for themselves. Every river, stream, every fish Is different. You gotta go out and learn for yourself.

hobster
hobster
No worries man, no need to apologize. I have learned and shared on this forum as well, and made some pretty good friends here i really enjoy fishing with. The internet is tricky when it comes to help with fishing, no one wants to give away all their secrets, especially to random strangers. I agree you have to put in the work, lots of work for steelhead! Even with all the info, it takes many hours on the river to learn the ropes. The river is your school, not the internet :)

hobster
hobster
Hooked Up;n609322 said:
I've got a friend who is new to Salmon/Steelhead fishing and it was a thrill seeing him get his 1st Salmon trolling and float fishing.

Most excellent! That's what it's all about!

W
William Charles
hobster;n609331 said:
No worries man, no need to apologize. I have learned and shared on this forum as well, and made some pretty good friends here i really enjoy fishing with. The internet is tricky when it comes to help with fishing, no one wants to give away all their secrets, especially to random strangers. I agree you have to put in the work, lots of work for steelhead! Even with all the info, it takes many hours on the river to learn the ropes. The river is your school, not the internet :)

Yeah we are on the same page here. That was my original point. Forums are great for that sense, but when it comes down to it, no fisherman gives away their secrets to just "anybody." I like to go on here to see which rivers people are getting success. I don't really expect anyone to ever give me their tricks of the trade either. You are right about that, the internet can be a tricky place when it comes to fishing, but I just look for a general sense of where people are catching fish and go from there.

Reactions: colt
R
Rusty
I find the majority of fisherman are happy to tell you how. Very few will tell you where. Unless he's a guide, then you often get both.