Where to fish chinook salmon

C
Clint4salmon
Hey guys I’m new to Oregon an I love salmon fishing. I grew up fishing em in California an recently moved here I was just wondering where would be a good place to catch fall chinook right now I live in Corvallis I would prefer not to drive to far haha my sister just got back from Europe an I’m hoping to take her out this weekend an help her catch her first nook. I was thinking the Alsea but I don’t really know any andvice would be greatly appreciated

O
OnTheDrop
Yoo. I use to live in Corvallis and often hopped over to the Alsea for Salmon. There’s a bunch of pullouts along the HWY, with lots of water to choose from. Problem right now is no rain, so the real big pushes of fish aren’t in the river yet, and are likely milling around tidewater.

If I was you, I would fish above tidewater a few holes, and see if you can find some pilot fish that don’t want to wait for rain. My guess is that you will.

I miss that place.

good luck~

C
Clint4salmon
Thank you so much I will defiantly try that the advice is greatly appreciated!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Clint4salmon welcome to OFF!

OTD is among the very best guides around. So his advice is pretty sound. I also fished that river, but it was many, many years ago. The Siletz tidewater, is also a good bet. And roughly the same amount of travel time, from Corvegas.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

C
Clint4salmon
Thank you very much I appreciate it an I will hopefully with good news!!

P
pinstriper
I don't think you quite appreciated the message from TD. OTD - Tanner - will not only put you on fish, but make you a better fisherman, no matter where you are starting from.

If you want the best chance to land a fish, book a trip with him. Third best chance, do what he says to do. To the letter. The first is so far ahead of the rest, there is no second place.

I caught my first fish ever with Tanner. A wild steelhead, and also landed a hatchery steelhead hen the same day.

You are quite fortunate to have such a guide as he even answer this question. Most/all guides guard their information like gold.

Reactions: troutdude and Southpaw
O
OnTheDrop
Thanks Mark, and TD.

Wont soon forget that day, I think that was the day where you were pretty close to Hypothermia? Nothing like winter Steelhead fishing in March....

Reactions: troutdude
P
pinstriper
OnTheDrop said:
Thanks Mark, and TD.

Wont soon forget that day, I think that was the day where you were pretty close to Hypothermia? Nothing like winter Steelhead fishing in March....

That was the day. “Showers”, huh.

I won’t forget that day, but I can’t say it was the most unforgettable of our trips.

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1539921915.4228.jpg
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1539921915.4638.jpg
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1539921915.4982.jpg
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1539921915.533.jpg
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1539921915.5717.jpg