Fine line between safety and death at the boat ramp...

J
Jake
Put in at around 8am Nov 18, 2017 with Dr. Feelgood at Siltcoos Lake. Trolled for 4+ hours and nada. Upon returning to the ramp at 1pm, noticed, from a distance, that there was an obstruction and people standing on the boat ramp. Appeared to be upside down aluminum boat and a lot of law enforcement personnel on the ramp. Long story short, we heard from Sheriff's Deputy at the dock that, sometime in late morning, boater accidentally accelerated onto the dock and flipped a ~20" Hewes causing an injury and a fatality. Female transported to Peace Harbor. Divers were assembling to search for the body of the, presumably, male boat owner. We have to take out at the private boat ramp. We were very saddened to see this tragic sight and reminded of the importance of safety in all aspects of boating.

Reactions: Troutski
troutdude
troutdude
Wow. What a drag. Good reminder to safety minded, at all times.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Sad day hearts are bleeding!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
that is very sad, such a safe and easy to use boat launch...

O
OnTheDrop
Dang, very sad. So many things can go wrong on the water, be safe..

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Jake, are you certain about this? I have yet to see any news outlet, file any report on this story. I've now checked KMTR, KEZI, KVAL, the Register Guard ("Local" and "Florence" headings), and the Newport News Times. Maybe there was, no death? So it isn't "newsworthy"? Sure do hope that, is the case. And that anyone involved, was not seriously injured.

J
Jake
I called the Register Guard today, prior to reading your message, and alerted them since it has yet to make the news. I've seen a lot in my time but could not imagine an accident like that happening.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
What a complete bummer.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I was there today (fished hard from 9:30am to 3:30pm, couldn't find any coho), the launch is fine and the dock is not damaged but the wood has lots of scrape marks down it.

troutdude
troutdude
From KEZI:

SILTCOOS LAKE, Ore. -- Rescue crews say an elderly man died in a boating accident at Siltcoos Lake boat ramp Saturday morning. Witnesses reported that a fishing boat flipped while approaching the dock. The overturned boat trapped the elderly man, his wife and their dog underneath.

They say first responders worked to lift the front of the boat with jacks, cribbing and other rescue equipment. A few minutes later they were able to access the woman and the dog. Both of them were treated for hypothermia.

With the help of a Lane County Sheriff's Office Dive Team, officials were able to find the man entangled in rope--and other equipment at the back of the boat.

The victim's name has not yet been released.

hobster
hobster
Oh man that’s sad. I feel horrible for his wife. Like Tanner said be careful everybody!

troutdude
troutdude
hobster;n608324 said:
Oh man that’s sad. I feel horrible for his wife.

Indeed. He was elderly. So they were probably together, for decades. And will now have her first Thanksgiving, then Christmas, without him. Ugh.

Troutski
Troutski
Just so sad in so many ways...

Chuck

C
Coburg44
Sad Day