Are silvers in lakes yet

G
Gary W
I just read Pete Heley's Blog and he says the dam is open now on Siltcoos. Has anyone caught silvers in Siltcoos, Tahackinitch or 10 mile lakes yet? I was also told 10 mile was only open to fin clipped by Kathy at the tackle shop on ten mile. Pete said he had never heard of that. Which lake would have silvers first? Thanks in advance for a report.

N
nwdunerider
My buddy fished Siltcoos on Friday and caught a jack and a searun cutthroat
Another in Tackenitch got 2 adults and a jack between the 2 of them
Today Saturday they have caught a jack so far on Tackenitch

troutdude
troutdude
I'm surprised that RogerDodger, hasn't filed a recent report--about Siltcoos. He reported--a few days ago--that the dam was open. And he was waiting for the run, to start.

rogerdodger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
3 lakes (Siltcoos, Tahkenitch and Tenmile) are open for wild coho under permanent regulations and the run timing is in the order I listed, the runs are underway in the first two lakes.

There have been no updates or changes this year to the perm regs- Oct1-Dec31 you can retain 1 wild coho jack and 1 wild coho adult per day, provided you catch them in that order. 2-rod angling is canceled on these lakes during the coho season. You can put a grand total of 5 wild coho on your combined angling tag for the year from these lakes (this is called the Wild Coho Aggregate Bag Limit.)

NW and SW zone rules make it a violation to continue angling for trout or jack salmon after retaining a limit of salmon or steelhead. After tagging a wild coho, for the rest of that day, you can only continue to angle for other species (bass or perch), any trout, jack or adult cohos that you hook must be released, even handing that rod off would be a violation since you were disqualified from angling for trout or coho for the rest of that day. Retaining a jack coho yourself after tagging an adult coho is straight up poaching.

You cannot retain hatchery coho in Siltcoos or Tahk because they are not open for chinook or steelhead (NW zone regs) but I have never heard of a clipped coho being caught in either of these lakes. A steelhead that wanders in becomes a large rainbow in these 2 lakes and can be retained as part of the :"5 trout with only 1 over 20 inches" limit.

You can retain hatchery coho in Tenmile lakes because they are open for hatchery steelhead all year (3 per day) but that also means that rainbows in the lake over 16" are considered steelhead (SW Zone rules) and unless they are clipped (and legal to retain and tag as a hatchery steelhead), they need to be released.

cheers, roger

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/KtM4fqr.jpg"}[/IMG2]
19.5" Tahk coho jack

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Very nicely spelled out. Thank you Roger!

P.S. Pretty sure that, your dog is smiling too. ;-)

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Fish are being caught in Siltcoos but not a lot, I fished Fiddle Creek area today and saw 2 jacks caught and saw and metered 3 or four bigger fish. Worst part was my motor dying at the railroad bridge. Started rowing thinking I was going to have a long haul back but did drain the carb and got it going! Bad Safeway gas I topped off the tank with this morning. My neighbor caught two yesterday one was jack.Some good rain coming next week should get things going!

G
Gary W
John from the tackle shop at the Marina in 10 mile lakes told me there are lots of small coho Jacks in both north and south 10 mile lakes. Next week There will be a few 8' pusher tides that should push more fish in all 3 lakes. Thanks for all your reports. Tight Lines.