Salmon fishing questions from a noob

PK Yi
PK Yi
Did a lot of salmon fishing while living in Alaska in the 90's. I remember it be spectacular and always got my limit each trip. But that was a while back and this is Oregon. I'm hoping to start targeting salmon here in Oregon and would like some pointers.

here we go.........

1) which works best? herring or lures/spinners?
2) is it best during an incoming high tide?
3) which direction do you troll? with or against the tide?
4) which scent is best? (friend said bloody tuna, any other good scent?)
5) what weather type is best? rain? cloudy days? wet, fog, cold? sunny weather?
5) I read on myODFW that coho is closed, does it apply to wild coho only? can I keep hatchery coho with clipped adipose?
6) barbless hooks is for the Columbia tributaries only, right? it doesn't apply to the Siuslaw?

I'll be fishing in the Siuslaw. Any tip is appreciated - many thanks. :worthy:

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hey PK! To answer all your questions depends on what fishery. Try them all, when you catch your first salmon in the chosen fishery that will be your goto set-up TONY

jamisonace
jamisonace
IMHO...everyone has the there own. Casting call is right, learn a rig that catches fish and stick with it.

1: depends
2: slack tide is best, high slack is better
3: with tide except just as its turning, then against
4: your friend gives good advice
5: depends
5: depends
6: check regs

Markk
Markk
1. I prefer herring.
2. You can catch fish at any time on any tide. But incoming is better and high slack is the best.
3. Troll with the tide with 6-8 oz of lead. Between the jaws most troll against the tide with about 10-12 oz of lead.
4. I dont use scent.
5. I prefer sunny days without much wind.
6. This year you can only retain fin clipped coho. Most are wild but there are a few fin clipped mainly below Florence.
7. On the Siuslaw barbs are legal you need to pinch the barbs if you go in the ocean.

There are many good youtube videos on how to tie mooching rigs and how to cut and rig herring.

Last edited:
4labs
4labs
Go with a guide on the river of your choice the first time and watch everything he does .Plus you'll learn the channels and depth's

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Markk;n607310 said:
6. This year you can only retain fin clipped coho. Most are wild but there are a few fin clipped mainly below Florence.

correct. there are lots of wild coho moving up the Siuslaw now, try to release them without using a net...there have been some clipped coho (maybe 20 or 30) caught this year but Markk is correct, they run back to Munsel Creek which is just above the big Florence launch.

for those curious, the rules for clipped coho on the Siuslaw are found like this:

first, check the NW Zone Regs:
  • Pink salmon, sockeye salmon and hatchery coho salmon may be retained as part of the adult and jack salmon daily bag limit in all waters that are currently open to angling for Chinook salmon or steelhead, except as specified in Exceptions.
then check the Exceptions for the Siuslaw: [h=2]Siuslaw River and Bay[/h]
  • Open for Chinook salmon Aug 1 – Dec 31, upstream to Lake Creek.
  • Open for other fish (see page 25) all year in tidewater.
  • Open for hatchery steelhead Jan 1 – Mar 31 and Dec 1 – Dec 31.
  • Closed for Chinook salmon upstream of Lake Creek.
  • Closed to angling Oct 1 – Nov 30, on mainstem and tributaries above Whittaker Creek.
last, to be very thorough, check the updates to NW Zone regs., nothing there, so hatchery coho are legal to retain per the NW Zone regs.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
4labs;n607313 said:
Go with a guide on the river of your choice the first time and watch everything he does .Plus you'll learn the channels and depth's

good luck this year, most the guides have moved to other rivers...lol

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
1) I tend to prefer herring in water that tends to be more salty. Then switch to lures when I hit the more "freshwater" side of brackish. Always carry a couple of lures with you though. Never know when you are going to run out of bait or need a new tactic.
2) I personally haven't noticed much of a difference between fishing the tides, unless it is early in the season then yes.
3) Typically with the tide, but I have had many days where the bite was against the tide. Don't be afraid to switch if the bite is really slow and your aren't interrupting the flow of traffic.
4) I don't use them.
5) I haven't really noticed any particular weather pattern to be better.
6) Not sure about the Siuslaw
7) Check the regs

D
DrTheopolis
1) Depends where in the river you are, and temperature. The problem with herring in warmer water is they fall apart (although the helmets are awesome). If your tackle is in the boat getting re-rigged, it has a zero % chance of catching fish.
2) Last hour of incoming is usually the best, but I find the best time is when I'm there with a rod.
3) whichever way the boat is pointing. Some fisheries, people always troll against the current, then run back up. Other places, people do a big loop. In the interest of playing well with others, do it how everyone else is.
4) I'm not particular, whatever is handy. Although bloody tuna is usually as good as any.
5) Whatever the weather is on the day you can go. I've caught them in any weather you care to name.
5) Completely depends where you are fishing. I don't believe any coastal streams are open to wild coho this year.
6) Barbless hooks are actually on the Columbia mainstem. But like Question #5, check the regs for where you're planning to fish.

Markk
Markk
DrTheopolis;n607323 said:
1) Depends where in the river you are, and temperature. The problem with herring in warmer water is they fall apart (although the helmets are awesome). If your tackle is in the boat getting re-rigged, it has a zero % chance of catching fish.

Helmets are the best. You can fish a bait for a long long time and they never blow up.

PK Yi
PK Yi
Great info! Thank you everyone! Hope to get one this week!

Reactions: troutdude
D
DrTheopolis
Markk;n607326 said:
Helmets are the best. You can fish a bait for a long long time and they never blow up.

Unless they get bit.

I'm not much of a herring guy, but I learned a really cool way to rig the helmet with a small bead and a bobberstop instead of the toothpick.

Reactions: Markk
Markk
Markk
I use 2 toothpicks and a large bead on the outside

• photo31784.jpg
D
Diamond Lake Charlie
The only thing I will add is don't use a 'DUPONT SPINNERS' as the OSP gets a bit on the upset side.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Markk;n607343 said:
I use 2 toothpicks and a large bead on the outside

Where does the bead come in?

I use the helmets that go over the head of a whole herring. Do you think the cut plug helmets are better?

D
DrTheopolis
jamisonace;n607357 said:
Do you think the cut plug helmets are better?

I think so. You can do a very crude cut, and it still works properly.

To heck with the toothpicks, although I've only recently learned the trick -- start with a bobber-stop on the leader. Then, slide a tiny bead. Then the helmet. Once the herring is hooked, you slide the helmet over it, then keep it tight by sliding the bead and bobber stop tight to the helmet. Way easier, and keeps the line in the water, not in the boat messing with toothpicks.

Also, on topic -- while I prefer to run spinners by themselves ("no bling"), I've gotten to where I want a flasher above it, even if it's one of those el-cheapo $1 small clear ones. I'm not sold that a flasher does much to attract fish, but it does collect weeds, and I'd rather have them accumulate on the flasher (between gear checks) than on my spinner. One bit of grass and the spinner isn't working. But if it catches on the flasher, the spinner is still doing its thing... just my (overpriced) $0.02.

Markk
Markk
I prefer not putting a hook in the herring so as the herring spins around the line and you are not pulling on the bait. Your swivels can get fouled up and your line won't twist. I tie a 3 hook mooching rig and find it very effective. I won't be home for a couple of weeks but when I get back I will post some pics.