Irishrover
Irishrover
Good job......nice fish.

G
Gulfstream
Where ?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nice fish and that sure is a nice enclosed/lighted cleaning station, I'll bet those raised fillet boards work real well. I wonder if the local STEP group (wink wink) was responsible for getting that project done...

Reactions: Markk and bd2cool
M
mosd
Not much being caught, guides are having rough time too

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
not many guides still flogging the Slaw and I can't wait for October. Actually, I couldn't wait and spent Sunday chasing chrome at an alternative location...took home this shiny 16" boy, fresh from the ocean.

MitvN81.jpg

K
kwikfisher
Nice to meet you today Roger! You're as nice as guy in person as you are on OFF. Maybe see you on the water someday?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher;n607118 said:
Nice to meet you today Roger! You're as nice as guy in person as you are on OFF. Maybe see you on the water someday?

for sure, I hope to see you out in the field soon...

and just in case anyone was worried that I might lose my "ODFW secret regs. decoder ring" for retaining a wild jack coho on Sunday, the tail shape (almost flat at the back) and spots (all over the tail) lock it in as a coastal cutthroat trout that has been to the ocean, a searun cutthroat (SRC). They also have small teeth on their tongues and top of mouth, the chrome sides make me think it was in the ocean very recently...

Reactions: bd2cool
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Nice Blueback, I fished the bridge and then up to Cushman late yesterday metered a few fish and most people got the skunk! However one guy got a 36 lb at the dairy hole! You gotta work for them this year and there are some nice fish just not a huge numbers year!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have a hunch based on what is missing from some coastal runs- mid-sized 'bulk of the run' chinook. we know these fish can come back at 3, 4, 5, and even 6 years. seems to me the fish some systems are missing include jacks and 16# to 22# 'bulk of the run' nooks...is it possible that better ocean conditions are keeping a good chunk of the run out in the ocean for another year?

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Congratulations! Nice looking fish.

jamisonace
jamisonace
rogerdodger;n607123 said:
I have a hunch based on what is missing from some coastal runs- mid-sized 'bulk of the run' chinook. we know these fish can come back at 3, 4, 5, and even 6 years. seems to me the fish some systems are missing include jacks and 16# to 22# 'bulk of the run' nooks...is it possible that better ocean conditions are keeping a good chunk of the run out in the ocean for another year?

Sure hope so. Love to have a river full of 40 pound fish next year.

Reactions: bd2cool
N
Native Fisher
I think the most likely case is that the 3,4,5 y fish are simply rarer because of poor ocean conditions equaling poor smolt survival during those periods. We know the pdo situation during those years left very little food out there during that time. The only bright spot is that for the first time in the last few years PDO has dipped into the negative which means this years outbound smolts stand much greater chances of survival.

Casting Call
Casting Call
rogerdodger;n607123 said:

r d I think your right in your assuming that ocean conditions for certain years (low smolt count)will cause runs with low counts. Including SRC. Tony

D
DrTheopolis
Bot? A quick search for the name on other forums would seem to indicate as much.