Oregon, California governors request salmon disaster assistance

K
killigan
While reading this article, I became a little confused. Our current Gov. Kate Brown is aware our Salmon runs are in danger, and will declare a disaster in order to get funds for local fishing economies under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act. But, in regards to the Columbia river gill-net issue, she lets the ODFW commission allow gill-nets, which are non-selective and indiscriminate to ESA listed fish.

Also, an eye raising number in the article was, "In 2016, Oregon commercial Chinook salmon fisheries were worth $4.3 million compared to the average value from 2011-2015 of $7.3 million. Recreational fisheries caught 4,100 Chinook salmon." So, the commercial industry made $4.3 million, while the recreational fleet only caught a estimated 4,100 Chinook.:yikes:And yet, the recreational fleet funds the majority of ODFW? :confused-new:

troutdude
troutdude
Follow the money...

B
Bill
killigan said:
And yet, the recreational fleet funds the majority of ODFW? :confused-new:

Since when? What source are you getting that information from?

K
killigan
The information is available to the public. ODFW is open about its financial shortfalls and that they rely heavily on users to fund its broad range of fish, wildlife, and habitat activities and programs.

"There are mounting pressures on revenues, such as the steady decline in hunters and anglers." "License and tag fees generate about one-third of the budget, federal funding was collected from excise taxes on hunting and angling equipment. Those funds require a state match generated from hunting and angling license sales and can only be used for specific activities." "Federal funding along with some other support, such as grants, cover the rest of ODFW’s operations. Most federal funds can only be used to address specific issues such as hydro power mitigation."

"Recreational surcharges were doubled to keep pace with inflation, when commercial fishing surcharges have not increased over time to help fund the fish Restoration and Enhancement (R&E) program."

B
Bill
Is one third a majority?

K
killigan
Bill;n604694 said:
Is one third a majority?

License and tag fees generate about one-third of the budget. Funding is collected from excise taxes on hunting and angling equipment purchased by license and tag holders (in addition to the one third). The state matches funds generated based on hunting and angling license sales and can only be used for specific activities (in addition to the one third).

Recreational revenue in the form of licenses, fees, permits, tags, endorsements, taxable fishing equipment, and matched state revenue based on hunting and angling license sales is where the majority lies. Not to mention the restrictions that come with Federal and Sate funding.

So, is one third majority? No. But take into count all the revenue that is created for ODFW in direct relation to the dollar amount they receive from recreational revenue and taxable equipment sales = Majority.

Do you believe the Commercial fleet generates the same or even more revenue for ODFW?

Was one of the reason I was confused with the article I originally posted about. The Commercial fleet harvesting more than the recreational fleet, when the generated Commercial revenue for ODFW is less.

Cheers

Reactions: troutdude
S
Stumpy
The Columbia River Reform from 2012, was enacted as an alternative to the total removal of gillnets from the Columbia. Gov. Kitzhaber negotiated this reform in order to transition the gillnets off the river. The current ODFW Commission, led by Bruce Buckmaster, rejected the plan in January, and after a rebuking letter from the governor, compromised the steps of the plan.

During the contentious debate preceding the Jan. commission meeting, sportsman groups noted a 13 million revenue from sport fishing and about 345,000 from the gillnetters.

In addition, a "Columbia River Endorsement" was created, charging sport anglers $9.75/yr to fish the Columbia and all its tributaries. The surcharge was sold as a support mechanism to help with the transition of gillnets off the Columbia (see Columbia River Reform or SB 830?) by this year, yet the nets will still be out, and our (sports) cut of the pie is still reduced.

Commissioners Buckmaster and Anderson continue to stick it to the sportfishing side while enhancing the gillnetters. I wonder why we should support the governor and commission who continue to support the commercial fleet at the expense of those who pay the bills?

K
killigan
Stumpy;n604705 said:
Commissioners Buckmaster and Anderson continue to stick it to the sportfishing side while enhancing the gillnetters.

I watched the last two ODFW Commission meetings via online stream, and the total disregard towards sport fisherman and ODFW staff testimony was evident. Anderson even went as far as "applauding" a gill-netter for his testimony, just to turn around and scold ODFW staff for supplying data that she didn't even want to acknowledge.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I attended the meeting where Buckmaster and Anserson blew the wheels off the plan. I testified at that hearing and got nothing out of it but a big kiss off by the commission. ODF&W commissioners with the exception of Bittle, and Webber are there to support the commercial industry. Browns support of Buckmaster and Anderson is not helping the sports fishermen nor the fish.

The budget is self explanatory, if one takes the time to read it, it is painfully obvious that the sportsfolks due the heavy lifting when it comes to paying the bills.

K
killigan
Bill
killigan;n604698 said:
Do you believe the Commercial fleet generates the same or even more revenue for ODFW?

B
Bill
What does the graph show that you provided in your link say?

K
killigan
Bill Are you only here to question the posts of forum members, or do you intend to contribute and provide your opinions?

B
Bill
Your the one asking me. Your just ticked because I corrected your implication about 1/3.

K
killigan
Bill Correction? Ticked? :D

B
Bill
Get over it

K
killigan
What source are you getting that information from? :D

B
Bill
Oh sorry, I didn't see you asked the question in a previous post. My fault, I was reading into it wrong.

No ,I don't have enough info to make that determination. You included taxable equipment in your determination of sportsman contribution, that falls under the Federal money ODFW receives. I m just not finding any thing showing our funds are big enough to bring change.
How much of the Federal money comes from the Commercial Fleet?
Again my apologies for misunderstanding you.

K
killigan
Apology accepted. I was never once upset with you or your posts, just wanted to hear your stance on the subject. As to the Federal funds, I don't know the specific amount, just remember that there are restrictions on how that revenue can be spent.

I hope someday we can find a way to bring change and preserve our natural resources for future generations to enjoy.

On a side note: I'm not at all against commercial fishing. I feel removing hatchery fish is important to existing natural wild runs. I'm just not a fan of gill-nets and think with today's technology, we could find a better method to harvest Salmon.

Tight lines sir, I hope you will accept my apologies, it was not my intentions to sound upset before.

killigan

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for keeping things civil guys. Keep the comments coming; as this has been a good dialogue.