Anchovies as bait in the rivers for salmon?

T
tkdguy
Can we use these as bait in the Sandy or other rivers?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
If you are asking if they work as an effective bait, then yes. I am not sure about the Sandy, but I troll herring on the Coquille, Umpqua, and Coos Rivers with pretty darn good results.

If you are asking if it is legal or not, you would have to look at the regulations.

T
tkdguy
Are you having any luck with the anchovies? tkdguy

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
At the moment I am not fishing with them. I typically only use them trolling for salmon in the fall. I have swapped out my trolling gear for my fly rod for the moment.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Anchovies make great salmon bait they are the primary bait in the Rogue Bay. I have used them on the Coquille and Umpqua with success. Typically you would use a threader up though the anus out the mouth with a treble hook inset into the anus and a small hoof fwd. though the nose. Most people will use beads and a spinner above the Anchovie. I don't know about the Sandy but you can use them in many other rivers.
SX-GdvmeW6Uw7fkCB1KlJhYRibY9MR8vduLVWwgcc0WvHg9Yfm.jpgR7QYprsDKixBPSq_dj_0YEHagLTKp0m7Ngh5u_Y2pcm0g9a90e.jpg

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Duckcross;n604651 said:
Anchovies make great salmon bait they are the primary bait in the Rogue Bay. I have used them on the Coquille and Umpqua with success. Typically you would use a threader up though the anus out the mouth with a treble hook inset into the anus and a small hoof fwd. though the nose. Most people will use beads and a spinner above the Anchovie. I don't know about the Sandy but you can use them in many other rivers.
SX-GdvmeW6Uw7fkCB1KlJhYRibY9MR8vduLVWwgcc0WvHg9Yfm.jpgR7QYprsDKixBPSq_dj_0YEHagLTKp0m7Ngh5u_Y2pcm0g9a90e.jpg

I'm going to have to try the spinner blade and beads.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Hooked up yes you should they work well at times I was on the Coquille one day trolling plug cut herring with no love, changed to these behind a fish flash and caught 3 Chinook large in a hour. But other times the herring will out fish them.

Reactions: Hooked Up