Icing live crabs until they are boiled?

C
Crabbin503
I'm in in Yaquina Bay with my uncle doing some crabbing. He insists on putting our crab in ice until we boil them, claiming it's fine, and that it's what the fishing vessels do. Looking for your opinions are on the issue. Thanks.

P
pinstriper
I crack 'em and clean when we get to shore, then on ice until they get home either to the freezer or the cauldron.

Casting Call
Casting Call
IF your uncle INSIST then do IT! No matter what others say. Your next request should include how far you will travel, how long to the cooking vessel and how will you transport the crab, sack, bucket of sea water or ice chest dry. I know what I would do but you didn't ask that. Enjoy your catch. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
As of 11/17/17 troutdude posted a crabbing closure map starting at capefoulweather south that includes Yaqunia Bay. I have not checked lately if the closure has been lifted. Be safe not sorry. Tony

troutdude
troutdude
Good lookin' out Tony!

Here is the latest scoop:

December 5, 2017

The Oregon Department of Agriculture and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife announce that recreational crabbing is now open from the north jetty of the Coquille River to the Columbia River.

An area from Tahkenitch Creek (north of Winchester Bay) to Cape Foulweather (north of Newport) was previously closed due to elevated domoic acid levels. Recent crab samples taken from the area indicate these levels have dropped and remain below the alert level.

This reopening of the recreational season applies to crab harvested in the ocean and in bays and estuaries, and on beaches, docks, piers, and jetties. Recreational crab harvesting remains closed along the southern Oregon coast from the north jetty of the Coquille River (including the Coquille estuary) to the California border.

Below is a guide for what is currently open and closed for both recreational and commercial crab fishermen. Before crabbing, please confirm the status of ODFW/ODA harvest areas relative to concerns about elevated biotoxins at the website below.

Recreational crabbing – Currently open in the ocean and in all bays and estuaries that are not under the health advisory.

Commercial ocean crabbing – Delayed in all areas until at least December 16.

Commercial bay crabbing – Commercial bay crabbing remains closed in all areas due to the delay in the ocean commercial Dungeness crab fishery.

Despite the commercial closure, crab and shellfish products sold in retail markets and restaurants remain safe for consumers.

It is always recommended to eviscerate the crab and discard the "butter" (viscera or guts) prior to cooking. When whole crab are cooked in liquid, domoic acid may leach into the cooking liquid. It is recommended to discard the cooking liquid, and do not use it in other dishes, such as sauces, broths, soups, stews, stocks, roux, dressings, etc. The consumption of crab viscera is not recommended.

For more information, call ODA’s shellfish safety information hotline at (800) 448-2474 or visit the ODA shellfish closures web page.

G
Gulfstream
Ice is fine.Just keep them out of fresh water

G
Gulfstream
Commie crab is postponed until the end of the month