Mercer, Munsel, Woahink, or Siltcoos for yellow perch.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Anyone target these little taco fillings?
I've tried them at Munsel once with so so success.
Most of what I caught, while abundant were really very small fish even for yellow perch.
I'd like to harvest a bucket full to fillet and make tacos out of them.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I have heard Siltcoos back by the pilings on the RR tracks bridge on Fiddle Creek arm, while there troll for Coho!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
there are people that target them effectively in Siltcoos but I see that more during summer. Some years they seem smaller (<7") but others they are decent sized. this year there have been less perch and they seem smaller but they are around.

troutdude
troutdude
Siltcoos, would be my choice. We did well, in the spring, in the weedy flats on the north side. My guess is that they are much more spread out, in the winter. So flat-lining a worm, would be the ticket for now. Might pick up some 'bows, or SRC's, too. Which could equal, a half dozen taco's each.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Did you mean to say flylining a worm?
And what's a SRC?
I figure to spend at least some time trolling spoons or other jigs tor trout.
At least while watching the sonar for marks that might indicate YP's on the bottom.
The fact is while I really don't expect to catch much if anything, I'm just getting antsy sitting at home and have a great desire to be out on the water.
If the crab were clean, I'd be hitting Coos Bay to replenish my crab stockpile.

troutdude
troutdude
No sir; flat lining is a trolling method. Basically, with no added weight. So you're essentially skimming, the top 10' of the lake's surface.

Main line tied to the front end, of a flasher set (like Doc Shelton, Ford Fender, etc). Then a worm trailing behind, with 3-4' of leader from the flasher set. Roughly 100', behind your boat. But don't use anything heavy, as Siltcoos is very shallow.

SRC's = Sea Run Cutties.

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
Okay. I spent a very nice day today trolling around Siltcoos lake. The sun came out early and although I suppose it was cool out I'was layered up so I was nice and warm.
Mainly I trolled a Thomas Buoyant spoon that has served me well in the past, and my fishing partner trolled a yellow Roostertail spinner.
I never got a strike at all and my partner caught one trout and missed a couple of others.

plumbertom
plumbertom
troutdude;n608413 said:
No sir; flat lining is a trolling method. Basically, with no added weight. So you're essentially skimming, the top 10' of the lake's surface.

Main line tied to the front end, of a flasher set (like Doc Shelton, Ford Fender, etc). Then a worm trailing behind, with 3-4' of leader from the flasher set. Roughly 100', behind your boat. But don't use anything heavy, as Siltcoos is very shallow.

SRC's = Sea Run Cutties.

At one point I considered rigging that setup. But as it was just an experimental day and a lazy one at that I contented myself to just keep doing the same thing all day.

troutdude
troutdude
plumbertom;n608432 said:
At one point I considered rigging that setup. But as it was just an experimental day and a lazy one at that I contented myself to just keep doing the same thing all day.

Ha ha. Been there. Done that.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
plumbertom;n608431 said:
Okay. I spent a very nice day today trolling around Siltcoos lake. The sun came out early and although I suppose it was cool out I'was layered up so I was nice and warm.
Mainly I trolled a Thomas Buoyant spoon that has served me well in the past, and my fishing partner trolled a yellow Roostertail spinner.
I never got a strike at all and my partner caught one trout and missed a couple of others.

regs reminder: the 2-rod endorsement is cancelled during coho seasons (Oct1 to Dec31) on Siltcoos, Tahkenitch, and TenMile Lakes.

also, SeaRun Cutthroats and Coho smolts are both in Siltcoos and look very similar- bright silver fish. SRC have a flat tail that has spots all over it, small coho have a forked tail and look like a kokanee. SRC are part of the 5 trout limit and are delicious; coho smolt must be released.

cheers, roger

Reactions: plumbertom and troutdude
G
Gulfstream
Hey Tom,crab is back open in Coos Bay.I would wait until the swell drops though.I went down yesterday and it was pretty rough in the bay,to say the least

plumbertom
plumbertom
Gulfstream;n608448 said:
Hey Tom,crab is back open in Coos Bay.I would wait until the swell drops though.I went down yesterday and it was pretty rough in the bay,to say the least

Thanks, I did find out Coos Bay had reopened after I came home from Siltcoos Wednesday.
Had I known I would have gone to crab the bay.
Currently planning on going Tuesday if the weather holds.