Good places to crayfish?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good places to crayfish?

Can anyone recommend me good places to crayfish around the Portland/Gresham area? I have tried the Columbia River once, Sandy River twice, and even the Clackamas River once which were all disappointments (1 to 4 crawdads per trip). I use traps and net them from the shoreline as well. Maybe creeks or lakes would be more productive? Let me know. Input appreciated.... Thanks.

There is a season I think, look it up

Timothy Lake is full of them, 20-30 feet, better at night.

Lake billy Chinook is a safe bet, more like 35 feet there. I have had traps full to the brim there.

I have heard Ollallie, Lost and Promitory lakes can be good, I have never fished them.

Diamond lake used to be good also.

I wouldn't eat any from the Columbia, lower Clack, Tualitin or Willamette rivers.

Comment

There is no season. It's open, all year.

I saw a couple of professional trappers, at Lake Billy, back in late June/early July.

X 2, on BB's comments about eating them from the Big C (and especially the Willy). I've NEVER wanted to eat any, from those stream. Nor eat any fish either. WAY too many toxic pollutants!

Try some of the coastal streams; if you can. The water is MUCH cleaner.

Comment

I know I am a little late to the party, but I have yet to run across a coastal stream that wasn't full of crawdads.

Comment

It's my understanding from comments on here last year that crawfish didn't absorb the toxins. I believe they use crawfish from the willy for the Tualatin crawfish festival.
          DON'T BELIEVE EVERY THING YOU THINK!

Comment

mud bugs do filter toxins! never been on the no eat list. Dana love the wolfhounds patch.Tony

Comment

Working...
            X