Tough crabbing yesterday. lost a trap.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Went to Florence once more.
While we did manage 22 legals for the two of us. It was slow going with huge numbers of females and undersized males eating our bait.
Only about 6 of the crabs we caught were the larger ones.
On the down side, I made the mistake of dropping a trap in deeper water with a high current flow, and had to watch as the floats went under.
Hunted around for a while but I couldn't find it with my sonar.
So if your fishing around the number 11 green buoy channel marker at low tide and see a float just upstream of it Marked "Tom S." go ahead and recover it. Easy to spot as it has a regular float with a 10'' disc float above it.
Return it or keep it, as you like.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
that sucks, I guess losing one to the river is better than getting one nicked by an a-hole... sounds like the army of big male crabs that marched in recently is losing the battle...that's OK, time for the river to kick out some chrome...

G
Gulfstream
how much line did you have on the trap and how deep did you drop it in?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Gulfstream;n606642 said:
how much line did you have on the trap and how deep did you drop it in?

It was either 40 or 50 ft. of rope. My sonar said 35 ft. But it was just after the high tide on a peak tide day and the water was roaring. I think the current as much as anything dragged the floats under. Kinda surprised me that they went under.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I lost one last year, you need to tie an extra one 3 feet above the other one, I use the big black ones I find on the beach it takes a lot to submerge them!

• Slide 4.jpg
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Just like this

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
plumbertom;n606645 said:
It was either 40 or 50 ft. of rope. My sonar said 35 ft. But it was just after the high tide on a peak tide day and the water was roaring. I think the current as much as anything dragged the floats under. Kinda surprised me that they went under.

there is a deep spot near that channel marker, the tide most likely was moving your pot into deeper and deeper water...

Reactions: cabinetguy
plumbertom
plumbertom
rogerdodger;n606651 said:
there is a deep spot near that channel marker, the tide most likely was moving your pot into deeper and deeper water...

It wouldn't surprise me at all. I use those Donalson wire pots and they don't weigh much, even though I also tie a couple lbs of extra lead to them.

plumbertom
plumbertom
GaryP1958;n606646 said:
I lost one last year, you need to tie an extra one 3 feet above the other one, I use the big black ones I find on the beach it takes a lot to submerge them!

Yeah, I've seen those being used. but I don't really have much room for big stuff in my small boat.
I actually do have second floats tied about 4' above the main float. And they are about 10''x 2'' foam float material I got by sawing an old float into pieces.