Had to try it again.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Yesterday I took my Grandson down and got his Jr. lic.
Then we took the boat to Florence and launched about 1 PM.
Ran down river to near the jetty and dropped our traps.
After about an hour we went to pull them up.
The first trap was so full of crabs we almost couldn't get it on the boat.
Many of them were female and a most were undersized.
But there were so many, we got 7 legal crabs most of which were huge to my eye.
Several were a good 7'' or more across.
Here I'm thinking, "at this rate were gonna be limited by the time we pull the other three traps".
It wasn't to be. Took us till 4 PM to manage 16 legal crabs.
I just couldn't find that sweet spot again.
Altogether we must have trapped a good 80 or more crabs, the majority of which were females.
Caught a number of undersized males as well.
Of the 16 we took, most were 6-7'' across.
Was the first time crabbing for my grand son, he's 15 and did a good job pulling the traps.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
what no way...I don't believe it...lol. did you drop any by the Coast Guard Station? the red channel marker there is hot upstream and downstream to where the river bends, stay to the south side of the Red marker so they are out of the channel but not too far south (too shallow).

see any fish hooked?

00Swede
00Swede
I was over on the North Jetty, not far out, looking out at a red #6 bouy. I was using a casting crab trap. Lots of crabs, probably about 60 to 70 and only 1 keeper. Most were females and a few small males. First time doing it and had a good time.
I was out there a substantial part of the day and was watching the boats pretty close and would use the binoculars when something looked possibly fishy but didn't see any caught. Can't see it all though.
I had to head back home this morning but went down early to try again. It the currrent was still running too hard for casting trap so I put a home made jig with a gulp minnow on and was swinging along the rocks and was surprised to hook a small wild Coho. I had no net with me but he was small enough I was able to pull him up and grab the jig with my pliers and flip him back. He was off like a rocket.
So not much to take home but had a good time.

plumbertom
plumbertom
rogerdodger;n606261 said:
what no way...I don't believe it...lol. did you drop any by the Coast Guard Station? the red channel marker there is hot upstream and downstream to where the river bends, stay to the south side of the Red marker so they are out of the channel but not too far south (too shallow).

see any fish hooked?

no I didn't see any hookup. I did see one carcass in the trash when I dumped the crab carapaces after removing the leg clusters.

plumbertom
plumbertom
rogerdodger;n606261 said:

see any fish hooked?