Crayfishing bait question....

C
Crabbin503
I really wanted to use fish scraps for bait this crayfishing season but I've called 4 big name stores and have had no luck. Having said that, if fish scraps weren't an option for bait for you what would you're next choice for bait be?

C
CastingCall
Try fresh beef bone, also works well for bank shrimp nets(miniature three ring crab net). Do you eat the mud bugs or use them for bait. I use local natural baits of the waters that I fish (sturgeon) such as very small rock crabs, mud bugs and shrimp. I don't use store bought baits. I catch my own right on the spot. Tony

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Honestly as long as it is meat it will work. I have caught them on everything from hotdogs, to freezer burnt chicken, to cat food, to just using my hands.

C
CastingCall
Crabbin503;n604975 said:
I really wanted to use fish scraps for bait this crayfishing season but I've called 4 big name stores and have had no luck. Having said that, if fish scraps weren't an option for bait for you what would you're next choice for bait be?

Let me add that a good size beef bone will add some weight to ur small size dad/shrimp trap to keep it on the bottom (3-4 pounds+) no matter the depth or current. Tony

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
CastingCall;n605012 said:
Let me add that a good size beef bone will add some weight to ur small size dad/shrimp trap to keep it on the bottom (3-4 pounds+) no matter the depth or current. Tony

That is definitely a major plus, and lets a guy use a smaller or cheaper trap in almost any condition.

B
Bike 'N' Fish
I've actually done a bit of research on this (thanks, youtube!) and talked to quite a few people in the area (I live in hillsboro area). The one thing I have found is that you want greasy. Anything greasy. Hot dogs work well, chicken thighs work well, but anything that has really good grease on it will do you well. I've taken to buying bait on my trips to the beach fishing for surf perch and then bringing it home and letting it sit in the back of my truck in the sun for a day. The smell generally makes a dandy of a mudbug enticer!