Lincoln City surf perch

N
Nolanrdr
Figured I'd give you all fishing report since this forum has helped me out a fair amount. Over the last three weeks I've been out to Lincoln City and fished fairly successfully in one spot. I caught 6 today on a Light tackle set-up, not the cannonball at the bottom with two hooks jetting out, and it's worked well both times

• photo31281.jpg
Reactions: Admin
B
Bill
I wonder what kind of set up he's using?

G
Gulfstream
looks like you got a few nice ones!

N
Nolanrdr
Bill;n603673 said:
I wonder what kind of set up he's using?

I'm using a light-tackle setup. I've received a couple requests from people on what I use and it's pretty simple. I also spent a good hour yesterday explaining all this to people walking by. I have a braided 20lb main line. It's hivis yellow and I don't think it really matters. On the main line I have a small plastic bead (red), then two 1oz sliding egg sinkers, then a green plastic bead. Tie a small swivel (I don't know the size but it's a pretty common one) and on the swivel, then I have a mono leader. The leader is about 3 feet with a single size 2 bait holder hook and a 2 inch green/red grub bait sand worm. Someone said they used the two hooks and a drop shot at the end. I've tried that before but never had any luck with it so I tried this method and it's worked really well. As for time and locations, I've heard from slack low to High tide is when you want to go. Location-wise I'm still trying to figure out. From what I know is that they like soft sand so that their food is dislodged easier and there's usually a trough that runs along the beach and you want to cast in there. Hope this helps! If you have any more questions let me know.

Reactions: Admin and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Excellent post there Nolanrdr.

G
Gulfstream
Same set up I use.Its called a" Carolina" rig.I had a hard time finding 2oz egg sinkers locally,so I bougt some off e bay.2 oz seems good on most days,but when the swell and wind drop,you can scale down to 1 or 1.5oz.Also I reel in SLOWLY and that way you can cover more ground.Have Fun

troutdude
troutdude
That rig is pretty much identical, with the rig that I use to float Power Eggs for trout. I've been wondering, for some time, if it would work for perch. So thanks for, the confirmation!

M
montym
Did you have any issues with line twists? I've fished for perch only a few times, almost always did pretty well with the pyramid weight at the bottom, but everytime I tried the Carolina rig in the ocean I spent almost all my time clearing up messy tangles.

N
Nolanrdr
montym;n603692 said:
Did you have any issues with line twists? I've fished for perch only a few times, almost always did pretty well with the pyramid weight at the bottom, but everytime I tried the Carolina rig in the ocean I spent almost all my time clearing up messy tangles.

I had the opposite situation I always had line tangles with the pyramid system but only a couple small ones with the Carolina rig. How long was your leader for the Carolina rig and how long were the offshoots for the pyramid.

M
mustardthetrout
I sometimes suffer from line tangles when I use the Carolina rig, especially when I use a cannonball sinker attached to one of those sturgeon sliders. They usually aren't as bad if I'm fishing with a shorter leader in calmer surf, but I'd like to experiment with different rigging alternatives.

Another crazy idea I have is to fish with a small flasher by the sinker to use to attract fish in rough surf conditions. The problem with this is that it would automatically create a lot of drag. Idk just something I'd like to try.