Northern Pike Minnow (squaw) fishing

B
blshelly13
I am looking forward to trying to catch some Northern Pike Minnows for the bounty program on the Columbia river beginning May 1st. I have tried a little in the past years and have only caught a few. My family and I enjoy going on the boat each weekend fishing.

We were told to try closer to Bonneville Dam at the beginning of the season and as the water gets warmer to move closer to Chinook landing.

Has anyone had much success catching these fish? Can you give me any tips? I would appreciate any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
D
Drew9870
The best baits I have used for squawfish are chicken liver, corn, worms, or use a piece of chicken liver and a marshmallow to float it up

B
blshelly13
Thanks... I have fished worms and chicken livers in the past. I guess I am having trouble locating them. I have read all the info made available from Washington state Fish and wildlife.

I will try the marshmallows with the baits.

Thanks again for the reply.

M
mikeredding
blshelly13 said:
I am looking forward to trying to catch some Northern Pike Minnows for the bounty program on the Columbia river beginning May 1st. I have tried a little in the past years and have only caught a few. My family and I enjoy going on the boat each weekend fishing.

We were told to try closer to Bonneville Dam at the beginning of the season and as the water gets warmer to move closer to Chinook landing.

Has anyone had much success catching these fish? Can you give me any tips? I would appreciate any help.

I have caught literally thousands using a small ball of velveeta cheese rolled onto a treble hook.

B
blshelly13
I will try that. Did you catch them on the Columbia river or in a lake?

M
mikeredding
There were in the North Fork Of the Middle Fork of the Willamette.

S
steelheadstalker31
Its to bad there is not a bounty on them in the Willy, its loaded with them.

O
Oregonchris
I wonder if they would make good crab bait? talk about cheep and plentiful...

M
mikeredding
Oregonchris said:
I wonder if they would make good crab bait? talk about cheep and plentiful...

Yes I have used them and they work well. We used to roll them in newspaper and then drop into plastic garbage bag before freezing. The newspaper makes it easier to separate them when frozen.

O
Oregonchris
Good idea on wrapping them idividuall, can't imagine a big ol ball of frozen squaw fish-gross me out. If you need to sharpen your squaw skills just float the Yamhill river and you can catch as many as you want.

F
FishSchooler
Use them crappy "guides choice" eggs! They have a crazy scent that dont really work for steelies, but for squaws. They are pretty cheap too. Around 5 bucks a pound at the joes here, maybe 4.50 or 4 cause of the sale. I know AA uses the eggs for squaws.

T
Troutier Bassier
Pikeminnow are easy to catch. I make 7-9k A season off them. Im not telling you my Secrets though.

Sorry

I can write a whole artical on how to catch them.lol

T
The Nothing
something i'm looking forward to learning about, especially being unemployed :(

I
icatchfish
All you have to use is an orange lure. I'm not from oregon I'm from montana and I've been a few oz away from our state record.

I
icatchfish
I could catch way more than you. last year i was with a friend at flathead lake and we got about 300 in a day. but it was a waste of time.lol

T
Troutier Bassier
Great. Too bad you couldent get a bounty for them. And fishing for them in lakes and rivers has a Big difference. Rivers are more sophistacated.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Rivers are more sophistacated.

Why? Cause people snag in them more? Hahahaha... :lol::lol:

7-9k? Thats not bad for a wee like us... ;)
Are you serious? Maybe we should get together sometime... a little kid-OFF...
Where do you fish for them and how do you turn them in?

T
The Nothing
icatchfish said:
All you have to use is an orange lure. I'm not from oregon I'm from montana and I've been a few oz away from our state record.

interestingly enough, i get replies to this thread in email. Was out trying to find some pikeminnow when you posted this, so i switched things up to orange on one of my hooks.

didn't change a thing for me...

I know first hand the pikeminnow in Flathead will take ANYTHING you put on a hook. I fished there many times when I was a kid. Fishing the Columbia River is much more difficult. Its affected by tides and is MUCH larger than Flathead. Water flows keep them moving all over the place. Here today, gone tomorrow.

F
FishFinger
Troutier Bassier said:
Pikeminnow are easy to catch. I make 7-9k A season off them. Im not telling you my Secrets though.

Sorry

I can write a whole artical on how to catch them.lol

Do you need a fishing buddy? I'll bet with my recent lucky streak not only could I put you off the fish, but also thin your wallet...lol

T
Troutier Bassier
No, But thank-you very much for offering. I have a friend I fish with.