Big bluegill fishing at Clackamette cove, Oregon June 12, 2013

Y
Youngfishermen
I headed out to clackamette cove and caught three nice size bluegills using a bobber with worms, I think it's because of the weather that they won't bite . Any tips on What kind of weather bluegills like??? Or any tips on what you guys use to catch bluegills? Thanx

S
Spydeyrch
Any pics? :think: It would be awesome to see those blue gills! :dance:

Well done on picking them in difficult conditions. :clap:

Take care.

-Andrew

Y
Youngfishermen
IMG_1463.jpgIMG_1465.jpg

Casting Call
Casting Call
Still, warm water with lots of cover. Just say'n. CC

bass
bass
Youngfishermen said:
I headed out to clackamette cove and caught three nice size bluegills using a bobber with worms, I think it's because of the weather that they won't bite . Any tips on What kind of weather bluegills like??? Or any tips on what you guys use to catch bluegills? Thanx

Bluegill are easier to catch in warmer water - although some times weeds make fishing for them tough.

Sometimes a worm on a hook is just too big of a presentation.

- Use a very small hook and tiny piece of worm. Sometimes losing the bobber and just freelining the worm with no wait is better. Then you fall through all depths.

- Try a single salmon egg (like a Pautzke) on a hook just big enough to hold it.

- Maggots were always gold when I was growing up and you could catch multiple per bait. I have not found them around here. Every bait store in PA sold them.

- In the south (like in NC) the cricket is the standard bait for brim (bluegill) fishing. Every bait store and country gas station would carry them. Not sure if you can find them around here.

- Crappie nibbles and the like have worked pretty well for me. Any maggoty looking powerbait.

- Small wet fly or nymph (14 or smaller) on a 2lb test leader is often better than any bait. A black ant in this size range is usually great. If you have a fly rod use it. If not put the fly under the smallest bobber you have and weight the bobber so that it is just barely floating.

- Small popping bugs or dry flies presented subtly are a good call on calm days.

Good luck and thanks for the pics.

M
Modest_Man
Not sure I'd want to eat any resident fish from that stretch of river.

B
Big3d
Be careful eating those, I have seen used needles and much garbage. That being said it's a fun fishery in the cove and can be a complete surprise with the species hiding in there

M
Modest_Man
We've only found condoms, tampons, and syringes below the falls. In plenty. Not a one above the falls. Icky.

I
igquick
Dang how big are those things? One of them looks pretty dang big for a bluegill

B
Big3d
Oh, I almost forgot, if you go out onto the peninsula that separates the cove from the river, be careful of the bum camps, I've cut through a few and most of the homeless dont care but the one who does will inevitably have a knife, stay to the mainland side if possible!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
igquick said:
Lmfao a bum with a knife!

They're called hobo stabbin' knives for a reason... and a damn good reason to avoid certain places, or if you must go - take something along for your own protection. A walking stick, a club (to dispatch fish, of course, it's dual role of skull thumping is just a bonus), a knife of your own, pepper spray, Fran Drescher, or become good friends with a cop who likes fishing and shares your days off...

Last time I fished that area, my mother was with me and she caught a smallmouth of about 3 lbs suspending a pink power worm under a bobber. I figured she wasn't going to get squat - but she caught the only fish of the day. Go figure..