Big pikeminnow

I
igquick
Sadly it isn't mine, but my girlfriend caught a 19 inch pikeminnow. Caught with a hair rigged white bread ball with a white bread "method" and you could find the specifics of this rig on my blog shown in my signature. This was caught in the Clackamas River at Clackamette Park, but I'm not going to be more specific than that on location. Between me and her, this one is the biggest one we've caught so far. I think it weighed 3 lbs and some change.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Modest_Man
I shocked up two last week in Multnomah channel that were 540mm from snout to fork length. Girthy too! For perspective, that would be about 24" the way you're measuring (total length vs. fork length).

I
igquick
I was wondering what you ment by shock, but i remember what you told me, you literally shock them...

Thats freaking huge! You got to post some pictures of those...

Do any of the fish survive after the shock?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Modest_Man said:
I shocked up two last week in Multnomah channel that were 540mm from snout to fork length. Girthy too! For perspective, that would be about 24" the way you're measuring (total length vs. fork length).
You literally "shock" the fish? How the heck do you do that...without getting a jolt yourself?

B
Big3d
There are some nice pikeminnow at clackamette, glad your girl had fun with that fatty! Happy fishing!

I
igquick
Yes there are a lot of big ones there, but a lot of snags too! So "playing" a fish is out of the picture

M
Modest_Man
igquick said:
I was wondering what you ment by shock, but i remember what you told me, you literally shock them...

Thats freaking huge! You got to post some pictures of those...

Do any of the fish survive after the shock?

We have about a 1% mortality rate. So 99% survive.

Raincatcher said:
You literally "shock" the fish? How the heck do you do that...without getting a jolt yourself?

You don't touch the water...

I
igquick
Thats cool, you should post a vid one day...so im guessing you press a button, and zzzzzzip....fish float to the surface

M
Modest_Man
It's like this - Most time we get less fish, sometimes more. I've tried shooting some video but I can't get a wide enough angle from on the boat.

[video=youtube;peSzPa-ynpk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peSzPa-ynpk[/video]

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I don't understand how that is even sportsmanlike much less legal. :think: Not even a challenge for a real sportsman...:rolleyes:

H
halibuthitman
Raincatcher said:
I don't understand how that is even sportsmanlike much less legal. :think: Not even a challenge for a real sportsman...:rolleyes:

they are biologist... its for managment and science purposes...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
halibuthitman said:
Okay, I can understand that. But it doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

M
Modest_Man
halibuthitman said:

I are biologist! Nothing we're doing is for management purposes. Strictly scientific. So don't yell at me (it does happen on the water and at the ramps...).

I
igquick
Raincatcher, i think he does it as a job for research; biology type of work.

Modest_man, if you guys are hiring, i am willing to work long hours!!! Seems like an awesome job

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks for the clarification, MM. I forgot you are a biologist...:redface: I just couldn't picture you using a shock treatment to "catch" fish. No offense intended, just a little confusion. :confused: