Crabbing the Siuslaw

jamisonace
jamisonace
We are taking a group of youth from the church to Florence this weekend and I've been asked if I'll bring my boat to try for crab.

I'll be in my drift boat and it is very slow. So here are my questions:

Is crabbing any good right now?

Where is a good place to crab that isn't too far from the ramp in old town?

Thanks!

M
mikeredding
jamisonace said:
We are taking a group of youth from the church to Florence this weekend and I've been asked if I'll bring my boat to try for crab.

I'll be in my drift boat and it is very slow. So here are my questions:

Is crabbing any good right now?

Where is a good place to crab that isn't too far from the ramp in old town?

Thanks!

The Siuslaw is not good for crabbing in winter. It is just too narrow and too far from the ocean. There is no salinity once the rains come and all the crabs go to sea. I have even tried clear down at the jetties in winter and there are very few crab.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I agree, we went out once last April and there were still only a few crab way down near the bar....the good crabbing started after the first big flood tides in June...

R
rippin fish lips
I wouldn't even do it, tillamook would be your best bet.

hobster
hobster
I just crabbed the south jetty 2 days ago with my daughter and we got skunked in 2 hours of trying. Out of 7 people 1 was a keeper. We had lots of fun but no crab ): Hit the tide right and everything. I'm sure you'd have a lot better luck with a boat - by the way the crabbing dock behind Moes is closed for construction.

F
fish face
I’ve never been crabbing. What would be best month of the year to go?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fish face said:
I’ve never been crabbing. What would be best month of the year to go?

it depends on where you are crabbing and if you are using a boat or from a dock,

so if you are asking about the Siuslaw, from our boat, we get first few crabs in May, then we start catching more crab in June (like 5 to 10 per outing), fairly easy to get our limits (24) starting in July after the first set of big flood tides, and it stays good through September, and it seems to slow going through October as the rains pick-up....cheers, roger