Northerns ? not northern pike minnows

W
Wickerdave
Several weeks ago before we moved to Sublimity Oregon from Iowa (love it here allready) I asked about any Northern fishing in Oregon. Found out that they are frowned upon in OREGON WATERS! However there are some to be caught not too far way. Today I was browseing the fishing regs and was looking at the fish pictures pages when I spied the picture of a "Northern Pike Minnow" Is this the "Northerns" you have been referring to? These are not the Northern Pike we fished for in the Midwest and Canada, not even close.

imagesCATC56KY.jpgimagesCAHSCP7H.jpgimagesCARRKO6B.jpg

This is the Northern Pike I'm talking about, any of these around??

Happy in Sublimity
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JeannaJigs
Northern pike minnows and northern pike not the same, as you can see. I know of none in Oregon.

J
john montana
As the resident guy who targets almost exclusively invasiv species, let me just say I hope northern pike never make it to OR! Don't get me wrong...I DIG pike on the fly, but they would massacre the native species. They are just way too efficient a predator and trout, as well as the steelhead and salmon smolt would just get crushed. The smallmouth bass are a tough enough gauntlet for the smolt. I do dig em though...love to fish for them when I am in the Midwest and caught a beast in Alaska one year.

I think there are some lakes in WA that hold them...but I don't believe OR had any like waters...I hope it states that way. I heard they are entering the Columbia system up in Eastern WA...not good.

W
Wickerdave
You are right, they are preditors of the highest order. I guess I'll just have to save my coins for a Saskatsuwan trip. going up the John Day in mid Sept., can't wait. Want a big walleye in the worst way but I don't think my Texas flats boat can handle the Columbia.

Dave

C
colbypearson
I wish we had pike & musky lol

J
john montana
Tx flats boat? I could hnk of a use for that! Nice...

The John day is fun. Took my kids there this year for the first time. Had a blast.

V
Van
Merwin Res and Tapps lake in WA have tiger musky. There are a few others as well that WDFW stocks every few years. Merwin isn't too far of a drive. That is something that is on my list to accomplish in the next few years. Tossing some massive flies at tigers. From what i have learned 40" are not uncommon. There is also a NW tiger musky club, iirc...

Last edited:
J
john montana
Van said:
Merwin Res and Tapps lake in WA have tiger musky. There are a few others as well that WDFW stocks every few years. Merwin isn't too far of a drive. That is something that is on my list to accomplish in the next few years. Tossing some massive flies at tigers. From what i have learned 40" are not uncommon. There is also a NW tiger musky club, iirc...

Or you can just got to Alaska Van!

4a529e59.jpg

V
Van
One of these days i will. I have a cousin that lives up there i can impose on if needed. I really want to catch some Grayling. That little thing you are holding wouldnt be so bad either....

Nice fish man. :clap:

J
john montana
The grayling were awesome. After dinner I would fish until dark, catching grayling on a caddis pattern on nearly every cast. Just crazy fishing. Can't wait to get back.