Anywhere west side of OR that I can possibly find northern pike?

Z
ztubs
My breaded pike is delish, and I dont even like fish.
Ive heard they're here, and unwanted. Well I want them, I usta be really into it in Montana. I can tie flys, make swim baits (hand carved\softplastic), but frogs are my favorite.

Any info mucho grassy-ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
Norther Pike are ILLEGAL in Oregon!

Norther Pike are ILLEGAL in Oregon!

There should be NO Northern Pike in Oregon. They are an invasive and ILLEGAL specie.

If I spotted anyone illegally "planting" / "introducing" these fish into Oregon waters; I would IMMEDIATELY pick up my phone and call ODFW, The Oregon State Police, and the Oregon Invasive Species Council!

T
the_intimidator03
We do not currently have Pike in Oregon, However if you go into Washington I believe there is some pike or possibly muskie fishing just north of vancouver

Z
ztubs
I was asking, because Ill catch em if they're here. Just wondering if any spottings. I know about the invasive species, that's why I asked to see if I could help :)

Never done musky, just pike up all over Montana. Thanks for the info, I might take a trip to canada just for them suckers.

troutdude
troutdude
If you want to chase muskies, there are some in Lake Tapps in Washington. Its just a bit east of Tacoma.

Z
ztubs
Good info for people not informed seeing this thread. Im fully with you guys on the topic, I know exactly how trashy these fish are to the eco system in the long run. Ive had trout stolen also, but man does it feel good cracking up on that rod when you see your frog go buh bye on a grass bed in a instant splash and slap. Im glad and sad they're not local. Glad because I get how much the native population means up here. Sad, on the fact that I can't slay a bunch of dragons locally.

Muskie, something ive never fished for, seems like it'd pretty much be the same as pike on a river. Ive heard\read you troll for muskies, but I have the slightest clue on a lake. I get most river fishing, but never been one to "troll" fish in lakes or rivers.

I see we have striped bass fishing up here, do they boil?

R
radarnut
Huh, when I lived up in Spokane a few years back, I had lots of friends who used to go fish for pike on the Pend O'reille. Didn't know that the population had gotten that bad. Certainly hope they never become that kind of problem here in OR.

W
Wickerdave
Howdy

Wife and I will be moving to Sublimity Oregon in next few months. I'm a Midwestern Walleye and Northern fisherman, Love catching a good size Northern, and I am no longer a Musky virgin (catch a 52" Musky and you will never forget it.) I've been reading about Northern in a res in North central Washington that could provide some fun. Can't wait to try the Walleye fishing. Maybe we should keep in touch, we may be the only Northern fisherman in Oregon!

W
Wickerdave
Stripped Bass???? now we are talking, I used to go to Mountain Home Arkansas every year to fish for trophy strippers, Lots of different ways to catch um. Down riggers, trolling, balloons, spoons, shad. We need to talk when I get out there. And yes they boil BIG TIME

Dave
wickerdave@q.com

R
rowlison
Wickerdave you guys are not the only Northern Fisheman here I loved going after them In Colorado, I never got the moster that I wanted but had a few good size with a lot of fight. So if have any info on Pike fishing in Washington please pass it on thanks

V
Van
There are Tiger Musky in Merwin Res. WDFW plants them every few years or so.

W
Wickerdave
Tiger Musky

Tiger Musky

Our Iowa DNR stocked a local lake for five years before someone from the Minnesota DNR told them that they are hybrids and don't reproduce. Then they started stocking regular Muskies and we catch one every now and then. Caught my first Musky in Ontario Canada at Nestor Fall on Lake Kitchabitchatichawan. 42" Never forget it, first time I ever saw a big fish dance on top of the water and first time a fish ever spit a lure right back into the boat (five times before I hooked him) Thanks for the info, Heading out to Oregon on the 17th od August, can't wait.

troutdude
troutdude
It sounds like Van mentioned a Merwin Reservoir in Washington.

But, if he's talking about Merwin Reservoir in Oregon...that lake is closed to the public. It is on private land.

V
Van
I was indeed talking about Merwin in WA. There are a number of Lakes/Res that WDFW stock with Tigers. Merwin is the closest to PDX. Some substantial Tigers are hauled out of there.

troutdude
troutdude
Very good...and good luck!

W
Wickerdave
I see Lake Merwin just off I-5 East of Woodland, looks promising.