A bit worried need a bluegill expert.

F
Finneus Polebender
Last year while fishing my back yard pond of all things I managed to catch a bluegill on a swim bait that was well over a pound. Went out back for a few casts this afternoon and as I was beaching the jon boat I looked over the side to see a monster bluegill dead on the bottom. I scooped it up and took a pic......... New pond and bluegill 008.jpgthere was one wound on it but it did not appear to have been eaten on. tossed it in the bushes and started walkin around the pond throwing casts. Got about 50 ft down the bank and looked down to see yet another very large bluegill on the bottom pulled this one out was much fresher and had no visible trauma at all snapped another pic........ New pond and bluegill 011.jpgand bagged it up. Continued my stroll around the pond and about another 100ft and out about 15 ft floating yet another huge gill. Does anyone know much about these guys , just seems wierd that it was only bluegill and only very large ones " thank goodness the place wasn't littered with fish and no bass floating " . Does anyone know if there might be a place I could have them checked out since I kept the one. Hope this is either a predator or perhaps an old age thing hate to think any thing might have gotten into the water , would think that there would have be many more fish and less discriminant carnage "bluegill and only very big ones" if that were the case. Will hope for the best and keep an eye on things any input or knowledge would be appreciated . Thanks FP

Last edited by a moderator:
K
Kevinb5688
I see dead bluegill all of the time at my go to 14 acre private pond. ( yours sounds very very similar). I worried about it for a bit but it has never resulted in any bass dying. I think bluegill just die easy when something is not right in the water. I have seen 10 dead bluegill one day and not see anymore for months, then 5-10 more dead. Its weird but the bass in your pond should be fine.
When they belly up call an expert!

F
Finneus Polebender
Thanks Kevin " that makes me feel better" the water looked great and I know there are tons of them in there so with only 3 spotted dead sounds like nothin major at least for now.

H
Hendo30
strange to say the least, and I could see how you might worry a bit. I know up here north or you you can actually take a fish and a water sample in the the wildlife dept and they can test both. Not sure if there is a fee or if there is anything like this down towards you. Its been awhile since my friend had his pond tested but may be worth a shot on a good lead. Attached below is the info.
Address
2600 SW Hillsboro Hwy
Hillsboro, OR 97123

Phone
503-681-6206

Fax
503-681-6277

Email
jackson_bottom@ci.hillsboro.or.us
Website
www.jacksonbottom.org

http://www.jacksonbottom.org/

F
Finneus Polebender
Thanks hendo was out there this afternoon and saw no additional fish , did notice a beaver is now chewing up on the bank cover wont be a problem at the current rate but not to fond of bare banks. Think OSU does testing down here still gotta do some research on that one would do it if the cost is minimal.

B
BlackBass
Probably fish dieing of old age. If a bluegill is over a lb in Oregon it is indeed a very old fish. Ever wonder why we do not have 15lb bass. Because they die of old age before getting that big. Fact.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Yep - I'm gonna say old age is what done 'em in. Those were some old fish - unless your water is absolutely crammed full of food and steroids or nuclear waste or something. I've been worried before when finding mass flotillas of dead perch before - but determined it was either stress from spawning or something - none of the other fish were effected - just a massive die off of yellow perch. I wouldn't be too worried unless you start seeing other fish species dying in similar manners.

F
Finneus Polebender
Thanks black and Gungas would make a lot of sense being as the only victims were mongo for this neck of the woods .and only that species seem to be affected . Also noticed the yellow spot at the front of the belly was vey pronounced if I remember that is a spawning female trait and I think they are early spawners ,finding them close to shore in shallow water might just support that theory also.

H
halibuthitman
I would think back to when you stocked them, and how many, and how relative their age classes were, you may just have some culling taking place, I think if your pond was getting sick the bass and other species would suffer as well. If you have any rocky shore go down and roll a few logs and rocks, look for caddis and helgramite larva.. the lack of them is the first sign you have something going on in your enviroment- good luck, hope your fish do well-

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Finneus Polebender said:
Thanks black and Gungas would make a lot of sense being as the only victims were mongo for this neck of the woods .and only that species seem to be affected . Also noticed the yellow spot at the front of the belly was vey pronounced if I remember that is a spawning female trait and I think they are early spawners ,finding them close to shore in shallow water might just support that theory also.

It'd be a bit unusual, since they don't really get into spawning mode until the water nudges 60 degrees (I've seen them spawning in 55 degree water, but it's atypical for bluegills - 60+ degree makes for more successful spawning). Anything is possible. Did you notice any redds?

F
Finneus Polebender
Only bluegill that have went into it was last year no way they grew that fast ,these ones have been there for years , and the water is barely 40 degrees so prob not spawned out . Did not notice any redds , and will have to check the rocky shore areas for larva . Again appreciate all your guys input ,just glad there has been no mass die off and no dead bass!

B
b70turner
Hello Finneus. I'm new to Oregon, but I can say that in Florida, where I've caught plenty of bluegill, they were never too sensitive to pretty much any kind of water (acidic, alkaline, polluted). Of course, Florida never had 40 degree water temps either. But I do know that finding a dead 1 or 5 from time to time was not uncommon, and it was like one of those "cold case" crime scenes where figuring out what did them in wasn't going to happen without a forensic lab. I can say that if it was only one or two, and none after that, pollution is very likely not a major concern. Bass and crappie will keel together with most pollutants.