Yellow Perch Fishing around Florence?

B
Brokenrod
Has anyone fished for Yellow Perch in the lakes around Florence? I have always wanted to try for them but have never been able to track down some solid info on the where, when, and how.

C
chris61182
I have no idea about near Florence, but at Hagg a small hook with just enough worm to cover the hook, anywhere there's a muddy bottom and you'll be in the perch.

B
Brokenrod
yellow perch

yellow perch

Muddy bottom, huh? Sounds like a job for the fish finder. Are they deep? I have heard of them being up to 50 feet. Thanks for the reply!

F
fishudedmeet
siltcoos

siltcoos

my dad and i caught about 30 perch outa siltcoos. worms onder a bobber. we caught a 2 pounder :dance:. find a submerged leaf and watch it. perch are school fish, so when you see shadows going over the leaf drop your rig don there. one school produces about 20 fish. we were fishing off a dock on the north end.

C
chris61182
Brokenrod said:
Muddy bottom, huh? Sounds like a job for the fish finder. Are they deep? I have heard of them being up to 50 feet. Thanks for the reply!

And don't take muddy bottom as gospel, at Hagg they're simply everywhere, but even more so over mud. And also at Hagg they seem to hang out anywhere from 3ft to as far as one can cast and I have no idea about the depths out there.

A
A_J-Llama
Perch

Perch

While not targeting perch, have caught a cooler full of the tastey buggers while fishing for trout and bass at Hagg. And like mentioned before, caught them everywhere in the lake, at all depths. Most big(perch) ones were caught while slow trolling:shock: a small rapala in the shallows and coves. We would troll for bass this way until we caught one, then pitch lures till we covered that area , then troll till we'd get another. The little cannibals really liked the silver/black and the perch patterns the best, but also caught them on rainbow and fire tiger as well. If nothing was hitting we would park in a cove and dunk worms under the boat and catch quite a few, keeping the big ones and feeding the small ones to a great blue herron that seemed to follow us around.:lol: But, they will hit anything small, spinners, lures, and tidbits of worm. I have caught 6 or 8 on the same 1/2 inch piece of worm, if you can get it to stay on the hook, you will catch fish, no matter how torn up it is. Besides crappie, perch is some of the best eatin fish there is, and easier to fillet too.;)

D
dude young
You'll find perch anywhere you'd find bass or crappie. They love to hide in and around submerged weeds, hiding from bass and pike. Best bet is find a weed edge or drop-off and set up right over it. Use a fish finder to see where the schools are. I use small grub jigs (fluor. green of white and black jig head). The smaller the better, on an ultralight rod with 2-4 pound mono. Perch are not picky and will beat each other up to take your jig. I always carry an ultralight rigged for perch/crappie when bass fishing. Just in case the bass are turned off, switch to perch. If the perch bite is off, go to the bar.

Best perch/crappie fishing would be right now, through the ice if you can find some that's safe. Back in NH we'd get yellows in the 1-2 pound range early winter, and whites in the 2-3 late winter/early spring. God, I miss ice fishing.

Tight lines, and good luck.

F
fish_4_all
Perch are about the best tasting fish out there short of maybe lingcod. I catch most of mine on pieces of, PERCH. Take a dozen worms, run out and cut up a small one and use it for bait. Besat time of year up here is about Mid July when the water gets really warm. I have iced fished for them and fished them in winter but didn't have much luck compared to the hot summer months.

O
osmosis
late spring/summer in a little river around here you can sight fish for them with worms. There's just clouds of them no more than 6-10' off the bank in the shallows.

Perch and bluegill certainly make some good fish n chips.

B
Brokenrod
Hagg

Hagg

I have heard a lot about Hagg lake. The only thing is I have no idea where it is. Anyone up for some quick directions?

C
chris61182
There are probably plenty of lakes with perch closer to you, which ones I don't know, but since you asked :) Hagg is off of Hwy47 about 2 minutes north of Gaston or about 4 minutes south of Forest Grove.

Y
yellowjacket
I can't give you a heads up on the lake but as the how I am in agreement with A J-Llama . In the NE - Ct. if we were on the water fairly early the schools would be right at the surface & you could see them churning the water. Small piece of worm about 3' under a small bobber-golf ball size or smaller. Not one of those grapefruit sized ones that look like a mooring buoy.
We'd catch the first one then take a regular toy balloon & tie about 6' of line to the dorsal fin and toss it back in. The school would be on the move feeding & we would stay with them following the balloon. No fish finder on the canoe! After catching dinner & the school had stopped feeding in the open water. We'd grab the balloon add that fish to the stringer & go Hawg huntin' . Then like A J-L says during the middle of the day they would be hanging in the coves or the weed bed areas where the minnows were hiding. So it sounds like they behave the same both sides of the divide. Dash of garlic salt, black pepper, onion powder, & coriander.

Y
yellowjacket
Kind of Grey area 2009 Oregon Regs Restrictions #16

It wasn't illegal in Ct. but the "ethical" method was when you could recatch the fish. Would not do that when shore fishing, as then there was no way to take the balloon off the fish and it would no doubt end up getting tangled in something and probably end up starving the fish. Looking at the 2009 Oregon Regs Restrictions #16 to attach a tag or physically mark a fish, So it is sort of gray area based that you would be taking the fish as a part of your limit within a few minutes and it would not be permanent. BUT without talking to ODFW to make sure I Would Not Recommend doing this here in Oregon. Figuring that ODFW consider rubber worms and rubber egg clusters as bait :confused: then my guess would be it is prohibited.

F
fish_4_all
Hmm, never heard of that one but I have seen clean jugs used as float lines and it is legal. I have seen this done on one lake. The person took the jugs to the upper part of the lake from where the wind was blowing from and would drop them in with 3 baited hooks. One jug per person and they dropped their own. Then they would go back to shore and barbecue and watch the jugs float down the lake. They got 9 trout that day. Not the way I would do it but it worked. I imagine as long as the fish is counted as part of your limit then it could be legal. I would call them and ask. It isn't chumming and it is legal to use lights in most places so who knows.

Y
yellowjacket
Pushing Your Luck in Oregon

Worked with a guy from Texas years ago who told me about jug fishing. If I remember right, down there you had to have your name & license # & date on / in the jug. For one to keep someone else from messing with your rig & 2 DFW would check them so they had better fit the regs and be dated within 24 hrs of inspection. Here three hooks per line is ok but where you might run into problems is in Restriction #1 -one line or rod per person and must be closely attended. The closely attended is the problem with that method. Also Restriction #2 may come into play but that seems to be directed at winches gurdies etc for hauling in the fish where is says line or rod must be held in hand. Sounds like you'd either have to be on the water floating close by or have an attached line to the boat or the shore where Y'all are grillin'. Kind of coincidental you mentioned jug fishing, wasn't 2 days ago I was telling a couple of brothers about that method when we were discussing small mouth fishing at Dexter Res. They were talking about making homemade lights with speaker wire and baby food jars. Get a cheap socket at the auto store and hook to a 12 volt. Probably could do a more portable version with a 6 volt flashlight bulb and a lantern battery.

F
fish_4_all
I thought it was weird here that it was legal at all but according to the fish cop it was. The same rules apply here, on pole with up to 3 hooks in ready control of the angler. I couldn't believe it when the warden said it was legal. Then again, he might hav been from the south or somewhere that it is legal and simly didn't know. I won't do it becaus ei like to "catch" fish but it was amazing that it worked. Seemed like as soon as they got one fish it wasn't long before the jug was thumping around with more on theline.

F
fishy4
i have fished siltcoos and mercer and a lot of those lakes use a small piece of worm drop to the bottom and real up one turn. if your in a boat fish places near the islands very good. 2 pound clear monofilament and an ultralight jigging little crappie jigs tipped with worm also works awesome. for the little perch you got to go small and you can target them at all depths. i used a fishfinder and trust me they are all over the place at siltcoos. catfishing is also fun there worm on bottom works sweet.

D
Drew9870
Siltcoos lake is the biggest lake on the oregon coast and me and my grandpa go to a perch tournament every year at siltcoos, it definitely is not as good as it used to be as the flood in 96 wiped out the fishing.

For perch I would STRONGLY recommend Munsel Lake, use a half of a herring jig with about a size 10 or 8 hook rigged with worms out in a boat, and just troll around with a bass trolling motor bouncing it off the bottom until you find a good spot and mark the spot, do not drop anchor as it will scare them away because the water in Munsel is crystal clear. And Munsel also holds some large trout and some very nice size bass. But the thing about the lakes on the oregon coast that you must know, about 10-11 AM is when the bite drops off and the wind PICKS UP.

Also Woahink produces the biggest perch but they are harder to find.

M
MrGrey1
I love perch as they are easy to clean.

I love perch as they are easy to clean.

You can clean about 30 perches in 15 minutes, if you know how.

All it takes is one cut across behind the head and stop about an inch from the bottom. Do not complete the cut. Split the top skin down to the tail with your knife point. Slide your fingers under the skin on both sides, hold the head with your left hand, and push right hand deep down and towards the tail. The skin should separate with ease. When you're almost by the tail, just squeeze and lift you hand up with the inside meat. Pull hand to the right to finish the separation. That's it. You have a beautiful white meat in your hand. Its also good tasting fish. Throw awy the head with guts and skin still attached to head. Some guys can also do it in reverse order..

Once you practice it a few times, you'll be really fast. Its always easy and leaves you with nice whole portions. We usually release anything smaller then say 5 to 6 inches up here, trying to keep the bigger ones.

Cooking perch in butter on carraway seed is very tasty! I think..

MrGrey1;)

D
Drew9870
My grandpa can do that, hes crazy when it comes to cleaning fish, especially bucketloads of perch and crappie. But he cheats :D he uses an electric knife, and I think it is actually the same rate that he cleans them 1 hour = 120 fish