Carp fishing in Oregon

D
Drew9870
topbloke said:
Redmire pool in England is a 3 acre pond which has carp to over 50lbs, so there is no doubt that large fish can live in small ponds.

I haven't done as much river fishing for carp as I have pond/lake fishing simply because I've been content fishing local spots which are only a short drive from my home.

Hopefully this year I'll get to give the larger waters a go and have some success.

That's what I love about carp fishing here. You just don''t know what's out there like in England.

Probably has to do with genetics, around that area there are many different ''races'' of Carp, some can have slightly different tolerances and needs, and can reach different sizes. I believe the whole ''race'' thing was achieved by breeding for certain capabilties, such as size, diet, and tolerances. Around Oregon your mainly gonna find 1-2 different races of Common Carp.

You are probably 100% right about not knowing whats out there in England, I think it's either prime habitat, or a lot of the Carp around there were bred to grow. Sometimes when I look at the layout of the ponds, and the fact that they hold mainly Carp, it seems as though most of them were once planted just for sport, but there are also a lot of ''natural'' waters with prime habitat. In no way am I talking down about England, because I would love to travel around that area hoping to hear my drag sing while fighting a 40+lber :D;), but I would be worried about fishing areas that have been overfished.

Bass, sounds like you got the right idea on where to fish for the Carp, if you really want to locate the Carp, look for steady streams of bubbles coming up in about a one and a half foot area, caused by them sucking on the bottom, it might stop and move a few feet once in a while, sometimes its not even a fish, once your used to watching Carp bubble, you can tell the difference between random bubbles and a carp feeding.

T
topbloke
I should have made it clearer. In England you know what is out there in pretty much every water. Here you don't known what's out there. The larger carp in England are even given names.

The carp in Redmire pool where put in there in the 1930's to control a weed problem and not for how big they would get. The pond wasn't even being fished at the time.

bass
bass
When I used to fish ponds - especially with a lot of vegetation you would always see the bubbles from the carp. In the Willamette I have not seen this phenomenon. I catch carp from areas with no visible indicator that there are any carp in the area. I believe the bubbles are the air bubbles generated by decaying vegetation and that when the carp feed the trapped air bubbles are released. Same reason you get bubbles (that stink) when wading through mushy areas. I think that in the rivers there is not a layer of decay since the river gets scrubbed each year during high water. Thus, I think it in the rivers it is more a matter of figuring out (rather than observing) the types of areas where larger carp hang out.

troutdude
troutdude
Regulations...

Regulations...

FYI,

At Devil's Lake in Lincoln City, it is Illegal to keep any carp. So, you might want be sure to check your reg's before fishing in waters for the first time. There may be other places that are also off limit, and closed to carp angling.

T
topbloke
I always practice catch and release when fishing for carp, so I can't see how they would know I was specifically targeting them. If I did catch one I wouldn't be keeping it.

J
john montana
Just found this site, nice to see so many carp fisherman out here! I'm dying for some warm weather and sun so I can find a few fish in the shallows. Hard to get them on a fly this time of year.

Great reports, glad to see people catching some fish!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people here!!

Thats a nice blog you have. Makes me want to start fishing for carp.

D
Drew9870
john montana said:
Just found this site, nice to see so many carp fisherman out here! I'm dying for some warm weather and sun so I can find a few fish in the shallows. Hard to get them on a fly this time of year.

Great reports, glad to see people catching some fish!

Welcome John, this is Drew from CAG, plenty of info to be learned on this site, just ask away.

Maybe I'll get a chance to come get a lesson on fly fishing for those Columbia Carp, Still have yet to land one (hooked quite a few) on the fly rod.

T
topbloke
Hi John, this is Dave the English guy you saw over at Bethany a couple of years ago. Good to see you're still into the carp fishing. I've been over to Bethany a few times this year but only caught two tiny ones so far. Looking forward to the Spring as I'm sure my luck will change for the better.

B
Born2Fish55
Interesting thread - My only interest in Carp fishing is when I need additional nutrients for my garden. I will normally fill a gunny sack with them, chop them up and bury them in my garden. Most fun I have ever had making my garden grow is Carp fishing. In the Hillsboro area, I normally head over to the little pond behind Valley Memorial Cemetery.

They LOVE Krill flavored doughballs on a floating treble hook.... attach your hook with 3" on tag left on it to attach a white or beige Corkie to it. My perferred outfit is my 8' Lami 6# flyrod with a Shimano spinning reel. The terminal tackle consist of three or four large Corkies.... one off of the hook, then the rest on the leader about 8" above that spaced approximately 4" apart. I then tie a small piece of white 'fat' yarn to those Corkies and add additional Gulp Shrimp scent to the yarn. My Corkies act as floats and give me enough weight to fling the set-up out into the water.

T
Troutier Bassier
Mr. Montana,
Can you tell me some of the lakes you fish for carp in? In exchange Ill tell you some of my spots.. Thankyou

T
topbloke
Troutier, don't you kill the carp you catch?

T
Troutier Bassier
Depends, if im with my dad I dont have a choice, he eats them. If im by myself or with a friends I let em go.

T
topbloke
Went to check out Sauvie Island on Friday, and I found a spot where lots of carp had obviously been killed as there were a huge amount of carp scales on the bank. Looked like it had just recently been fished. Was one of the spots I fish, so I hope whoever it was, wasn't killing the larger carp.

Last edited:
J
john montana
Hey Dave. Glad to hear you are catching some fish! I just got out this year and found a few (two at 19 lbs!). Been doing a little local fishing with the kids too but I am a bait novice. Catching some little carp but no real monsters with the kids.

I am with you on the carp kill. I hope they are letting the big fish go! Plenty of 7 to 9 lbers to keep out at sauvie.

D
Drew9870
Troutier Bassier said:
Mr. Montana,
Can you tell me some of the lakes you fish for carp in? In exchange Ill tell you some of my spots.. Thankyou

TB, check out his blog. He fly fishes the Columbia River, you just gotta find prime backwater. Have you fished for carp in the pond south (I believe) of Blue Lake? Looks carpy from google maps.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
the lake below bluelake,,, Fairview Lake? Not yet! Actually My friend lives on that lake and we were in his backyard and I saw probally 20 carp jump and surface and stuff. Really cool. I plan on fishing it this summer. Blue lake is good for carp I know...