Carp fishing Oregon

T
Thejigmaster
Got out again. I was using a boilie called the krill

• image.jpg
E
espencer757
I am very surprised to see how popular carp fishing is. I have never targeted carp except with bow. I do have to admit, they do fight. I caught this one on Brownlee res on a trophy rod with 8# line. I was a bit disappointed as I thought I had a big cat on.d376d8ebd0fa9e5492f67c3c62930c14.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

J
~JM~
I am also surprised that anyone actually fishes for Carp. I caught one when I was about 9 years old. It was the biggest fish I had ever caught at the time. I proudly walked over to the local Bait & Tackle Shop to show off my fish & the Ole Timers about laughed me out of the place. I went from hero to zero in a second or less. That's when I learned that Carp were considered a trash fish & unfit for eating.

I saw a Japanese magazine once that was all about "Trophy" Carp fishing. Couldn't read it, but there were plenty of pictures with Japanese fishermen displaying their catch. LOL!

J
~JM~
Another Carp story...

I used to kayak on a river that had plenty of Carp. One time I was just drifting along when I floated above a large school of Carp. Amongst the mostly brownish/gold Carp, was a large bright orange fancy Goldfish complete with long fins, etc. Really stood out compared to the rest.

I'm guessing some kid won the fish at the Fair & it was later released into the river.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
OFF member John Montana is a world class carp fisherman. You should check out his posts for more of these:
P4290016.jpg You should also know carp are good for eating. Folks just need to get past the stigma associated with them, kind of like eating fancy snails. Here is a recipe for you. ;)
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/01/12/3407056.htm

J
~JM~
The old recipe that I was told about, requires two boards slightly longer than each Carp fillet. Nail a fillet to each board & then stand them up over a mesquite smoke fire in the shape of an inverted "V". Slowly smoke the fillets until the meat will flake off with a fork. Allow to cool somewhat & carefully remove the fillets from the boards.

Then throw the fillets in the trash & eat the boards.

M
MikePierce170
Speak for yourself Raincatcher. The "stigma" that's associated with them is there for good reason. Carp can thrive in nasty toxic waters and are bottom feeders to boot. Eating resident fish like this is ill advised in my opinion. There's a reason they post those signs at boat ramps warning about the bass and carp (among other fish). Unless they were raised in a very controlled environment there's no way in hell I'd eat one. Who am I kidding lol I wouldn't eat one even then. For people that eat them and enjoy it, great. But I won't be running that kind of risk.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
MikePierce170 said:
Speak for yourself Raincatcher. The "stigma" that's associated with them is there for good reason. Carp can thrive in nasty toxic waters and are bottom feeders to boot. Eating resident fish like this is ill advised in my opinion. There's a reason they post those signs at boat ramps warning about the bass and carp (among other fish). Unless they were raised in a very controlled environment there's no way in hell I'd eat one. Who am I kidding lol I wouldn't eat one even then. For people that eat them and enjoy it, great. But I won't be running that kind of risk.
Never said I have ever eaten carp myself, I just provided a link and a recipe for anyone who may want to try it. Personally, no way in hell would I eat them or the fancy snails, no matter what name their tagged with. :popcorn:

M
montym
I do eat carp, only fish I buy hoping that they come from better waters than I have access to.. If cooked well, they do taste very nice. Given a chance I'd bet a lot that if you eat some good carp curry that I cook just once, you'll become a convert. Been there, done that with a couple of American friends. And half the world can't be that wrong, no?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: climbguy and Ikijime