What percentage of your fishing tackle purchases are made online?

I
IKfish
I'm curious what everyone's general purchase preference when buying fishing tackle.
For me, about 70% online. Not only for fishing tackle, i buy most things online.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm always on the hunt for old school, time tested/proven, lures. So it's thrift stores, garage sales, craigslist, fleabay, and now facebook marketplace for me. I rarely buy anything new. And 80% of what is on those store shelves, are made to hook you. And not the fish. Just sayin'... :D

C_Run
C_Run
Almost, but not quite, zero. I mainly patronize Bi-Mart and Sportsman's Warehouse, rarely Dick's.

Reactions: Slo
M
markasd
I give my local (Albany) fly shop what I can for feather purchasing business... bought my switch rod from him too - at a few bucks more than on-line. Had no problem doing. For fishing gear, its hands on for me. Comes with some knowledge in the shops and also comes with personal touch, some like that - some don't!
Salem had a fly shop - I feel like some of us miss Rich now that Sportsman is your choice for feathers around here (Salem/Keizer)... and choices are pretty weak there. Hooks and such are fine - feathers and general fly tying materials are lacking a bit.
Dicks never had anything of interest to me as far as fishing goes.
Still buy more and more other hard goods online - going to buy my next Orvis rain coat online I'm pretty sure - too good of savings.

hobster
hobster
For fly fishing i support my local fly shop, everything else i'd say 90% or more Bi-mart! Online, maybe 5 percent or less when i get a Cabelas gift card or can't find it at Bi-mart

G
govallis
Online stores such as Amazon and eBay, prices are much higher than local stores.

I
IKfish
govallis;n610570 said:
Online stores such as Amazon and eBay, prices are much higher than local stores.

You probably occurred to a great deal at local store, i think. Otherwise there's no reason cheaper than online shops.

Aervax
Aervax
I had to give this some thought to come up with a number and came up with this: Fly fishing all species 0% online. Trout with standard tackle 0% online. Sturgeon and other species that I baitfish for 0% online. Steelhead and salmon in terms of dollars spent annually 10% online and all of it is for fishing line and flashers. Bass fishing 80% online, and it accounts for 60% of my annual tackle.purcahes. Overall I buy about 65% of my tackle on line with the majority of it being plastic worms followed by topwater lures.

G
govallis
IKfish;n610573 said:
You probably occurred to a great deal at local store, i think. Otherwise there's no reason cheaper than online shops.

I'm talking about everyday prices. For example, I just bought these yesterday:

Quantum Telecast Spinning rod - $19.99 Sportsman's Warehouse vs $30 ebay
Rattlin Rap - $4.99 Cabelas vs $7.11 Amazon
Bitsy Bug Jig - $1.69 Sportsman's Warehouse vs $5.61 Amazon
Redeye shad - $4.94 Cabelas vs $7.41 plus shipping amazon
Eagle Claw Pack-it - $19.99 bimart vs $25.41 amazon

And lots of fake brands on ebay and amazon these days.

C
colt
90% of my lures i buy online. The ones i use the most for bass fishing are not around here in stores. Bass tackle is about 99%. If it is steelhead or trout gear, locally. Got a few spots that sell for those who make custom jigs that work for steelies.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
W
wils
none. buying local keeps people employed plus I like "hands-on" when buying my fishing gear.

Reactions: IKfish
I
IKfish
wils;n611559 said:
none. buying local keeps people employed plus I like "hands-on" when buying my fishing gear.

Buying online can also keep people employed.:D

T
Troutman69
I mainly buy local, but for bass I often have to go online as local stores don't carry what I want. Strangely the same for fly rods, as there is very little selection in my local fly shops. I wish I could test and buy the rods I want locally. Online purchases this year: Cabelas for bass flies, Rapalas, Douglas fly rod, Sage fly reel on clearance. Orvis for bass flies. Everything else local at Sportsman's Warehouse. Bought some used rods on ebay.