Smallmouth starts when?

L
Luis Dominguez
i just started bass fishing last year but didn't catch my first smallmouth until the start of summer. How much longer until you guys recommend i go and start fishing for smallmouth? I like to drive an hour out to Washington for smallies so I’d rather not go out there if it’s not time yet haha

EOBOY
EOBOY
Won't be much happening until middle of March, waters to cold.

Reactions: Spartankidfishing and colt
C
colt
Some places will start catching smallies early march. If its a drive you want to cut back on, end of march might be a good start or beginning of april.

W
wils
fish eat year round. you just need to get out there and figure it out. lots of articles online for this.
personally? Too DAMNED COLD before April and after September.

Reactions: Spartankidfishing
C_Run
C_Run
wils;n609299 said:
fish eat year round. you just need to get out there and figure it out. lots of articles online for this.
personally? Too DAMNED COLD before April and after September.

A couple of years ago I read up on cold weather bass fishing, went out in November, froze, got skunked and decided it was better to wait until spring.

Reactions: wils and EOBOY
EOBOY
EOBOY
C_Run;n609300 said:
A couple of years ago I read up on cold weather bass fishing, went out in November, froze, got skunked and decided it was better to wait until spring.

:lol::lol::lol:

C
colt
Speaking of cold weather, my old man was ice fishing and caught a smallie that barely fit in a 10 inch hole. Had a harder time putting it back, just could not get it to fit enough to release. Heck of a day i say. And he was perch fishing.

L
Luis Dominguez
C_Run;n609300 said:

The last time i went SM fishing was Thanksgiving weekend and i caught my two biggest bass bacck to back. Boy was it cold haha

S
Snappleninja
Jerk bait and work it slow, work everything slow.

L
Luis Dominguez
Snappleninja;n609775 said:
Jerk bait and work it slow, work everything slow.

The bass are probably deep, so would I be able to use a medium siving jerkbait and possibly have them swim up to attack?

C
colt
With warm weather coming fast, i would use medium diving (5-9 ft) and work the banks. Seems like they will go shallow to get sunlight and warm up. At least thats what i am told. Not too shallow though. Spring cranks are medium for me and usually slam them in 10-12 feet of water. Sometimes i go shallower and let the crank bang the rocks and work a little magic with the crank to entice a reaction.

S
Spartankidfishing
You can catch them now!! Small mouth bass like colder water. Large mouth bass usually stay more dormant during the cold months. It in my years of fishing small mouth have always hit all times of the year. I would switch up what you’re using. Shameless plug here but I just made a video of good winter bass baits and that should help you get on some!! No need to head all the way to Washington I’ve call smallies on the willamette river already this year using these baits in the video. Take a sec to watch it and let me know if it works for you!!

C
catfishman89
The smallmouth start biting on the columbia when the main river hits 46 degrees. Usually around mid march. Crankbaits are the only thing they will hit until the water reaches 52. Rattle traps and rapala dt6s and dt8s work. They'll prestage in areas where they will spawn. Like the inlets around coves or cuts and usually around only a few feet deep. This year there isn't a huge snowpack so the run off should be low and the river will warm faster. For me I will be fishing the columbia in about a month from now.