Reading fish finder

L
Luis Dominguez
I bought myself a deeper sonar fish finder and trying to learn how to use it for bass fishing. I was wondering if anyone can help me pinpoint what is what in these pictures? I learned that arcs are the fish and skinner=small and thicker=big. But I'm not sure if I see any arcs in these pictures, or what do you think the light green/orange clumps are?

• photo31622.png
  • photo31621.png
  • photo31623.png
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I don't see any fish arcs in those images, looks like orange is true bottom and green is lower density return (weeds growing up from the bottom.)

different fish species will give different arcs depending on body shape and structure. shorter thick fish, like bass, give returns more like 'blobs' and longer fish like trout and salmon give the classic arc shape...but it all varies depending on the fish orientation to your sonar signal...

Reactions: cabinetguy, colt and Troutski
M
montym
I had an older version of deeper , that actually had fish symbols of it. I think it came with pretty good documentation of options and how to read it.

L
Luis Dominguez
montym;n606464 said:
I had an older version of deeper , that actually had fish symbols of it. I think it came with pretty good documentation of options and how to read it.

Im able to turn fish icons on for my deeper as well, but it kept marking "fish" when it was just a school of baitfish or a log or rock, so I looked it up and they say you're better off turning the fish icons off and looking for the arcs yourself.

L
Luis Dominguez
rogerdodger;n606460 said:
I don't see any fish arcs in those images, looks like orange is true bottom and green is lower density return (weeds growing up from the bottom.)

different fish species will give different arcs depending on body shape and structure. shorter thick fish, like bass, give returns more like 'blobs' and longer fish like trout and salmon give the classic arc shape...but it all varies depending on the fish orientation to your sonar signal...

"Blobs"? That sucks, it's going to be hard to tell the difference between a small school of baitfish and a bass I'm assuming?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Luis Dominguez;n606468 said:
"Blobs"? That sucks, it's going to be hard to tell the difference between a small school of baitfish and a bass I'm assuming?

that depends, does your unit have downscanning? on my Elite4 chirp, I split my display: normal sonar top, downscanning bottom. a school of baitfish will often be a huge blob on the sonar but downscanning image will differentiate that into lots of individual 'lines', that usually confirms it is fish...the downscanning also shows detail of underwater logs, branches, and rocks...

you will be able to spot bass and perch just fine, they should be sort of like the classic trout/salmon arches but missing the ends, just the center blob that should have a slight curve to it...

tbrinks
tbrinks
Image quality isn't the best, but I would say that is just grass.

portlandrain
portlandrain
I bought a small portable fish finder that I use on my kayak that I think is much better for finding bottom contour and structure that will be likely places to fish instead of marking the fish themselves.

tbrinks
tbrinks
portlandrain;n606634 said:
I bought a small portable fish finder that I use on my kayak that I think is much better for finding bottom contour and structure that will be likely places to fish instead of marking the fish themselves.

The Vexilar SonarPhone is pretty cool for a portable option. It works through your phone and also allows for live mapping with Navionics if you have the app.

C
colt
Everyone fishes differently, i know. However, bass fishing for me, the only reason i use the depth/fish finder is for depth and water temp. I have never really done any dropshotting which i am sure you need a fish finder for. Is that really as helpful as some may say? I dont mean to hijack...

As for arcs, thats nailed on the head.

K
kuttoman
I am also thinking to buy deeper sonar fish finder. What was your experience with this finder? I mean is it good to buy?

K
kuttoman
Ok. I ordered deeper sonar fish finder a few days ago from amazon. I got it yesterday. I am seeing total guide & instruction page too. It's working perfectly with my android device. So far it is a good device.