Crabbing Netarts!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Big Ben Hasn't been around this summer, family stuff. Anyway he texted me monday and said lets go crabbing. Thursday we drove over the hill ahd got there about 9, low tide. The parking lot was full which surprised us. We worked the water north of the launch ( with everyone else ) More fun to watch the circus up close. Everyone including us were pulling full pots of females, bummer. I tried my line and rod trick but realized I hadn't used enough line in my wad! Oh well next time. We crabbed till 3:30 just past slack. We move south of the launch and put down one last string. When we pulled the first two more big females. The last pot had 2 keeper males.........whew! Somethings better than nothing right! Got to pull my boat with my new used F-150. Sweet pulling compared to the Rove. When I got home my new softopper was waiting, put it on today. soft.png

plumbertom
plumbertom
Seems like Crabbing has been a bit slow for keeper males this year so far. I've tossed back a lot of undersized that were less than 1/8'' undersize. Plenty of large females which although disappointing to see when you turn them over, hold much promise for the future of the fishery. With the number of just shorts that I've been catching I'd say after the next molt there should be much better crabbing.
Lots and lots of small crabs show the fishery is doing fine. Maybe they catch will improve as the year progresses. I've heard that a bit rain can improve the crabbing considerably.

Irishrover
Irishrover
It was kind of slow here in Newport today. Lots of undersized crabs and females in the bay. If the weather settles we are headed across the bar to give the ocean a shot.

M
Mister Bisley
Heading out to Netarts Bay for some crabbing on Thursday...will post a report if successful. Hearing that things are starting to pick up. Wish me luck.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Mister Bisley;n614240 said:
Heading out to Netarts Bay for some crabbing on Thursday...will post a report if successful. Hearing that things are starting to pick up. Wish me luck.

Bisly:

Just curious as to when your launching Tides are screwy thur. Although it is a pretty soft one. Yeah, please tell how you do. Ben might want to go thur. or fri.

Last edited:
M
Mister Bisley
EOBOY;n614241 said:
Bisly:

Just curious as to when your launching Tides are screwy thur. Although it is a pretty soft one. Yeah, please tell how you do. Ben might want to go thur. or fri.

High is at 10:03am on Thursday and it was recommended that we launch between 7:30-7:45...it does look slow and soft

EOBOY
EOBOY
Mister Bisley;n614244 said:
High is at 10:03am on Thursday and it was recommended that we launch between 7:30-7:45...it does look slow and soft

yeah that sounds about right. Ben just text me so I guess it looks like we're going Wed. we'll probably catch the afternoon low, so we'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Mister Bisley
M
Mister Bisley
EOBOY;n614249 said:
yeah that sounds about right. Ben just text me so I guess it looks like we're going Wed. we'll probably catch the afternoon low, so we'll let you know how it goes.

That would be great, thanks!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Ben showed up sick this morning, so I sent him home. He ate something bad.........so hope to go tomorrow........So, maybe see you then BIsley. We've got an old Alumaweld, with a black bottom, an old guy on the motor and a big viking looking guy in the front. After we set our traps I'll pull out my rod to crab while they soak, so we should be easy to spot

Reactions: Mister Bisley
M
Mister Bisley
Sounds good. If you hear someone yell “Hey EOBOY”...it’s probably me. Tell me more about “rod crabbing”.

M
Mister Bisley
Crabbing was awesome yesterday. In 5 hours, we only caught 6 keepers between the two of us... but we had a lot of fun. We caught lots of big females and tons of males under regulation size, so it looks promising in a few years. Biggest crab was 7” and we caught a nice fat Red Rock, so I decided to give it a try. Claws were very tasty...body was ok. Were you out there yesterday EOB?

EOBOY
EOBOY
B's

We didn't make it I was under the weather. Glad to see you got some. Were they full? The 2 we caught a couple of weeks ago, 1 was about 3/4 full the other one was skinnyyyy

M
Mister Bisley
Nice and full. We did catch some softer crabs though.

M
Mister Bisley
Heading back to Netarts Bay on Monday to get my crab on....hopefully we limit out this time. Will post a report

M
Mister Bisley
Crabbed Netarts yesterday...8 keepers for 2 of us. Doesn’t sound that great but other morning boats had 0, 1 & 4, so could be worse. Crab seemed to pick up in the afternoon, which is when we caught a bulk of our crab. We had two boats come in after us with 17 & 24 for 2 each. We did catch a 7 5/8”” monster that was probably 2.5-3lbs. He was chock full of meat.