Braided or mono

B
Big Nigiri
What weight and type of line is best for fishing for bottom fish? Hoping to get into some rocks and lings soon. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

4labs
4labs
Really any brand is fine. I use Power pro or P-line what ever I find on sale. If you have a shop spool it on about 12cents a yrd.
For shallow water to a 100ft 65lb is fine after that 80 to 100lb all with 40 or 60lb mono leaders.
Everyone has a different choice and some reels work better with different weight line and you didn't say if your out in a boat or off the rocks.
Off the rocks on a spin reel 65lb and 30lb mono is all I use

Irishrover
Irishrover
For me it depends on the depth because the depth determines which reel I use. On the long leader fishery I use an 80lbs braid main line to a 125lbs mono with three hooks, then 30' of 20lbs mono to the weight. That is fished in 200' of water for yellow tail, and widow rock fish. Nearshore bottom fishing inside the 30 fathom line, I use any thing from 25lbs mono to 40lbs mono for main line with 20lbs mono for a leader. This is all off a boat with level wind reel. Later when salmon season is over I'll put the spinning reel on loaded with 20lbs mono and do a bit of casting.

B
Big Nigiri
Thanks. I will be fishing from a boat, completely different ball game for me. I am going to start off in the bays for a few trips, as I get used to the boat. Then decide if I want to cross the bar, ever.

4labs
4labs
Look at Irishrover's boat. That's about the size I would feel safe crossing the CR bar .
The safest place to learn the ocean is Brookings. May be along drive but if you have someone to split the cost its doable and you can be fishing in less than 10mins from the jaws
I've gotten myself in a couple of jams lately and I'm old and should know better.
Be safe

Also Fishsleep has Garibaldi dialed in and rodgerdodger and Gulfstream know everything about Coos and Bandon. Might be a good idea to contact them for info.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Ocean fishing has it's rewards but crossing the bar adds a certain risk factor. 4labs make a good point about bar selection. If one has little experience crossing a bar reading the information in the link to LeeRoys Rambling, will provide a treasure trove of valuable insight. Even with numerous crossing, it is still worth reading.

Feel free to ask question about crossing the bar. There are lots of folks here more than willing to pass information along.

B
Big Nigiri
Thanks for the concern, don't want to get myself in trouble. Not really looking to fish the ocean a ton, just want to get into some rock fish and ocean crab. The trouble is I don't know what to ask, don't know what I don't know. I will start by reading leeroys ramblings.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Leeroys is a good place to start. Which bar to do you want to fish out of and what do you have for a boat. With that information we could fine tune some information.