South coast report 6/21 Brookings, Gold beach , Bandon

4labs
4labs
First let me say I didn't boat fish , this is just my observations on a 1 day 400 mile round trip I do bi-monthly.
Brookings... calm sea but brownish color near shore water.. 5-10 boats about 1 1/2 miles out looking from the weigh scales south of town most likely salmon but maybe bottom fishing except they were bunch upped . Went to the port to check the bins and 1 salmon head about 20lb fish and ling and black carcacess with 1 small halibut .Two old guys my age ready to duke it out over a trailer one accused the other for stealing it. Checker said a couple of salmon came in Wed. Saw about 10 commercial boats north at Thomson Creek bridge where you halibut fish in 200FT + of water.
Gold Beach.. The dredge is there and almost no spit but not because of the dredge just no build up of sand. The bay is really shallow this yr and will be a challenge . About 8 boats out trolling 2 guides . saw 1 salmon caught out near the jaws by Gene Garner in his new 26 ft boat OMG what a boat. Everyone who trolled along the north jetty caught perch and huge ones the size of footballs right in front of the"cat houses" . Ocean flat and green. Star charters came in in their big boat and yelled at Garner that they had a bunch of halibut so these are a picture of their catch with permission from Mark. They went out 17 miles ( I think north) in 40 fathoms.
I stopped off north of town to rock fish and got some mussels for the wife so that's my catch
Port Orford didn't stop.
Bandon.. Stopped off at Bullards cleaning station to clean the mussels and fish . 2 boats there who went to the "high spot" and caught buts. said about 30 boats out. They had 5 fish I think , they already cleaned them when I got there.

• IM000379.JPG
  • IM000375.JPG
  • IM000376.JPG
  • IM000381.JPG
  • IM000384.JPG
  • IM000382.JPG
  • IM000383.JPG
  • IM000387.JPG
  • IM000378.JPG
Reactions: EOBOY
C
Chetco
Brooking salmon dead but Eureka has some mid 20's+

G
Gulfstream
Great report!

4labs
4labs
Gulfstream;n612739 said:
Great report!

OK Whip where's that Odell report ?????????????????????

hobster
hobster
Great report indeed

4labs
4labs
On 6/23 Gene Garner caught 4 and lost 1 to a seal. all before noon on a 1/2 day booking. Standard green spin blade set up. I'll run down as soon as the winds calm down but Wickiup is now kicking out some huge koks. The labs love wick and I always listen to them since their the only ones who can stand to fish with me...
Also go to Garners facebook page , some great photos and info.

A warning to anyone bay fishing.. something in the regs about no longer than a 6ft leader from your last swivel to stop snagging. I know that was enforced to prevent long lining with a hook and bead but is enforceable to trolling. I run up to 9ft at times due to skittish fish with a straight bait and when running 2 chain swivels I was in violation so watch out. Would not be surprised to see a warden checking boats at the ramp when you load up.

C
Chetco
4labs;n612752 said:
On 6/23 Gene Garner caught 4 and lost 1 to a seal. all before noon on a 1/2 day booking. Standard green spin blade set up. I'll run down as soon as the winds calm down but Wickiup is now kicking out some huge koks. The labs love wick and I always listen to them since their the only ones who can stand to fish with me...
Also go to Garners facebook page , some great photos and info.

A warning to anyone bay fishing.. something in the regs about no longer than a 6ft leader from your last swivel to stop snagging. I know that was enforced to prevent long lining with a hook and bead but is enforceable to trolling. I run up to 9ft at times due to skittish fish with a straight bait and when running 2 chain swivels I was in violation so watch out. Would not be surprised to see a warden checking boats at the ramp when you load up.

If you are loading boat you are not fishing??

4labs
4labs
Don't know... May be up to the trooper and some can be rather by the book. I could see them at the dock as you pull in to leave and then check your gear . In Gold Beach its been yrs since I've been checked so who know's . Only found out about it from Sat report by Ellis.

C
Chetco
Just go by the law AKA (the book) not opinion and you will save lots of bucks

4labs
4labs
7/19
stopped by GB and took some pics. Next week looks good on the wind forecast. avg 100 boats a day and most people I talked to reported 1-3 fish a day

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Hey I know the guy on the left great dude right there and a hell of a fisherman.

4labs
4labs
fishing out of a purple north sled(great color) said they caught 3 wed.
Is that you duck??

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Yeah I know him very well he has had that boat for years, he is from Sutherlin. If you are talking about the picture of the boat yes it is a 20' NR. Duckcross is based on the fact I am a huge Duck fan.