Perch days

Casting Call
Casting Call
Looks like Fri-Sat-Sun are perfect AM high tides and low swells. Sunday looks like a glass day. Depoe Bay "Fishing Rock" here I come. Tony

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
Wish I could join you.
I so want to do some surf fishing again.
Surf fishing was my mainstay when I lived in SoCal.
It was just a quick run down to the beach
Either Topanga, Malibu. or Zuma.
Even when I moved from the Chatsworth Hills to Atascadero, it was still only 12 miles down to Morro Bay.
Here It's an hour plus drive and I have to plan for fuel every trip.
And I've already planned a trip to go crabbing on the 2nd.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Crabbing when and where? Is that giant chess set still there in Morro Bay? the one with spectator benches on both sides? Back in the day I did a tournament there. See my bio under "active" about me. Tony

troutdude
troutdude
Good luck Tony! Will look forward, to your report.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Pulled this one in surf OFF Florence an hour ago!

• photo31937.jpg
C
cdumitru78
Good luck! Are they still bitting this time of the year? Tempted to go tomorrow in the AM around Cannon Beach.

T
troutfisher
looks like I'm headed to the cost on Sunday morning. Thinking of hitting Fogarty beach for perch or should I focus my efforts elsewhere? Tried a few times but have yet to catch a perch so any tips on locations to try would be appreciated.

The steep shoreline at Fogarty looks good but maybe it's not?

F
Fishnsleep
I cannot wait for January 01, 2018 need to start the year off right by bottom fishing and crabbing out of Garibaldi.
Hope the weather and ocean cooperate. Any one else headed in that direction?

C
cdumitru78
troutfisher - I've done really well in that area, I am talking to sandy beaches between Depoe Bay and Cannon Beach, there is fish there for sure. I am not sure if they bite this late in the year though, but many seem to think they do. Try moving about if you get no bites, like every 10 minutes or so, you need to find those schools. Once you find your first one, you will get more... what baits are you using, I prefer live shrimp or Gulp worms.

T
troutfisher
I have some 2" gulp sand worms for this trip. Good to know that the area I intend to try out holds fish. Hopefully they will be there on Sunday.

Casting Call
Casting Call
troutfisher;n608875 said:
looks like I'm headed to the cost on Sunday morning. Thinking of hitting Fogarty beach for perch or should I focus my efforts elsewhere? Tried a few times but have yet to catch a perch so any tips on locations to try would be appreciated.

The steep shoreline at Fogarty looks good but maybe it's not?

tf Fogarty beach is VERY accessible through the state park, park and walk the paved pathway under the overpass 50ft to the water. Fogarty beach is just on the north of Fishing Rock. You can access FR two long blocks south. Park at FR parking lot cross the street and fallow the trails to the end of the rock OR take the trail around the east end of FR to a nine mile long sandy beach. Fish the beach walking south until you hit a pocket/school of perch. GL Tony via Fishing Rock Street sign

Reactions: troutdude
Casting Call
Casting Call
cdumitru78;n608879 said:
troutfisher - I've done really well in that area, I am talking to sandy beaches between Depoe Bay and Cannon Beach, there is fish there for sure. I am not sure if they bite this late in the year though, but many seem to think they do. Try moving about if you get no bites, like every 10 minutes or so, you need to find those schools. Once you find your first one, you will get more... what baits are you using, I prefer live shrimp or Gulp worms.

C78 I think you meant to say Depoe Bay to Lincoln Beach. Tony

T
troutfisher
I found fishing rock and the small parking area on Google maps. I'll try Fogarty first and if I strike out there I'll try the FR area. Thanks for the information!

C
cdumitru78
Casting Call;n608883 said:
C78 I think you meant to say Depoe Bay to Lincoln Beach. Tony

That's what meant! I also do well around the Cape Arch area, Google Ocean Point Inn, I fish that area often as it tends to be sheltered from the wind.

Question is, do we know that perch bite this time of the year? Tempted to go tomorrow and check it out.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Red tails & silvers. Hey good luck on your trip. Tony

B
Big Nigiri
CC, I wondered if I could ask you a couple questions regarding your initial post? As I am fairly new to surf / saltwater fishing what are you using to determine tides, swells, "glass days". I look at websites, but I am unsure how to decipher the information.

G
Gulfstream
Nigiri,your best bet is the last 2 hrs of the incoming tide for perch. you should be able to find a tide chart for your area on the web.Wind is the enemy.Look for days with winds0-10 mph.Swell size is important as well.try to pick days that the swell is less than 6 ft.If you have more questions,just ask!

C
cdumitru78
They were bitting today, I got 9, all good size. I started around 7.30, done before 10. I had to move around a bit to find them, but once I did I even had a double on. Weather was perfect! Get out there and catch some!

Casting Call
Casting Call
I did about the same! Found two schools, Just at a 1/4 mile and then some, south of Fishing Rock. It sure was flat water. Tony