Total # of snare loops for crab snare?

PK Yi
PK Yi
What is the total # of snare loops one can have on a crab snare here in Oregon? I scoured the regulation book but could not find it.

Casting Call
Casting Call
I believe that 3 pots, 3nets, 3 traps is the limit norm. As a guess 3 snares would be the limit but don't go by what I guess. Call ODFW for the correct reg. Tony

Reactions: Almays
EOBOY
EOBOY
PK, I use a gob of heavy line as a crab catcher from the jetty at Barview and there are more loops than you can count. so I think the answer is as many as you want!

P
pinstriper
Keep in mind Dana can't count any higher than 6 before he loses his place. So I'd go with 6.

Reactions: Casting Call
EOBOY
EOBOY
pinstriper;n608064 said:
Keep in mind Dana can't count any higher than 6 before he loses his place. So I'd go with 6.

Make fun if you want but that method will out crab those loops every time.

P
playhooky
be7c46025730b6c8c482c1f63005784e.jpg

P
pinstriper
Which, that doesn't answer Sammy's original question: How many loops on one snare ? I presume he is planning on making his own, as opposed to a store-bought.

Casting Call
Casting Call
The boss says1 snare is one snare no matter how many loops. Three snare limit although. Quote "Unlawful to mutilate crabs PRIOR to landing. such that size, sex, or species may not be determined. I like Dana's idea cause it sounds like it may catch more than one crab with the hopes that it adheres to the regs. Tony

EOBOY
EOBOY
Tony good story about that. In 1980 my brother and I and a friend went to the coast in Jan to fish for steelhead. We spent 3 days fishing the Miami, Kilches and the Trask. Not a bite and no one we talked to it was the same sad story. We decided to go crabbing. We went to the Barview store and bought 3 loop rigs. Went right there behind the store and lost one right away. About that time an old couple came with a 5 gal. bucket a rod with a gob of line and a net. They threw their rig out and in about 10 min. hauled it in with a couple of crab, threw it back out caught a couple more and left.

We went to the store and bought a cheap spool of 30# test line and built ourselves a couple of rigs. We left a couple of hours later with 2 limits of crab, so I've used this method ever since. You have to kind of tie it in the middle to have a place to put hooks and a weight. The fine line and the number of loops make it easy for them to get tangled and the line gets caught in their joints. As a matter of fact the next time I go in the boat when we're just sitting I think I'll throw one out while the pots soak.

P
pinstriper
I had a blast using a crab hawk recently.

PK Yi
PK Yi
I emailed ODFW, they replied and said there is NO limit on the total number of snare LOOPS. Thanks for all your inputs.

Reactions: Casting Call and Markk
Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call;n608074 said:
The boss says1 snare is one snare no matter how many loops. Three snare limit although. Quote "Unlawful to mutilate crabs PRIOR to landing. such that size, sex, or species may not be determined. I like Dana's idea cause it sounds like it may catch more than one crab with the hopes that it adheres to the regs. Tony

Hmmmm! You heard it here first. Tony

EOBOY
EOBOY
Found some old pictures from 20 years ago at Barview jetty, and it has some bad pictures of us using the Wod of line for crabbing. wod.pngwod1.png

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
A picture is worth a 100 words! Took most of the kids crabbing yesterday and while the pots were soaking we threw a ring over to keep ourselves occupied. I'm certain we had some bail out as we were pulling the ring in, I've got a use now for that unwanted mono lying around.