Epic day OFF Gold Beach

G
Gulfstream
Got the nod from some friends that live in Gold Beach that the bar would be doable,so I headed down.With the huge minus tide we waited until noon to launch,to be on the safe side.Headed out to the reef just west of the mouth and the fishing was fantastic.No wind,a little jackass with the mixed swell,but the quality of the fish was incredible.We let 6 underside lings go and a few smaller canaries and chinas were sent back using the new descending device that I got from ODFW. I also sent back the biggest Vermilion I have ever caught to make some more small ones.Lost one nice ling to a huge sea lion which was pretty disappointing Big ling was 19 lbs The best day of bottom fishing that I have had since living here.:)HAVE FUN! IMG_4142.JPG
IMG_4139.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG

Reactions: BaldTexan and Admin
G
Gulfstream
The one that got sent back IMG_8507.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
(Untitled)

nice!

4labs
4labs
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes me really miss Gold Beach. Were you out by submarine reef ? My favorite place, How shallow was it running out the mouth . I drive by GB. every 2 weeks
and the spit is really starting to close off the mouth .Hopefully the dredge will hit this year.
One thing about GB. is the drive is just too far for most. Any cabezon? In a few weeks they will be legal. If you get out there again look for the Garden. Its about 2 1/2 miles out and goes from 180ft to 47ft
My wife caught her biggest ling there 46 inches. That day we caught over 30 lings from 10-38 lbs.
Great job and be proud few people get to experience what you did.

G
Gulfstream
Thanks.I am very grateful I had the chance to experience that area.The mouth was VERY narrow,no room for error.From the north jetty to the tip of the spit ,that was breaking,about 50-60 yards.Coming out of the first set of jetties,it was quite shallow,about 4 ft. Once we got in the "channel" it was about 30 ft.Can't imagine coming or going out if there was a bunch of boats salmon fishing,there just isn't much room.First fish was a nice cab that of course we let go.Does the garden show on the charts? I don't know the name of the area we were at, 'just outside of the big pinnacles that stick pretty high up in the air,with all the sea lions on them About 2.5 miles out

T
TimberTodd
That does look like an epic day!

4labs
4labs
The channel can be an "EXPERIENCE" if you never have run it . I did for 13 yrs and never felt comfortable . I came in on a friends 24ft striper and had a wave overtake us.
2ft of water over the transom can wake you up real fast. When the salmon fleet is at full swing aka"wolf pack" you don't dare run across the bay at speed or you will snag
some lines . The Garden is on most newer GPS . If you don't have it run out to the Whistle and head towards NW ROCK . Its the only kelp patch you will see out that far .
A little past the whistle is another great spot with big lings. Always take a light spin outfit with a swimbait on to cast for blacks on the surface. Its easy to catch a 100 blacks and
blues if you see them. It sounds like you had a great crew to fish with.

hobster
hobster
Awesome day, good for you man!

troutdude
troutdude
Wow! That's one epic day fo' sho'! Way to go!

BTW...if you really want fish to survive, it's much better to not hold a fish by their gills. Survival rate is minimal, at best, when that happens. Doing that may have defeated your purpose; of wanting it to spawn future generations of large fish.

Good luck, on your next outing.

G
Gulfstream
Thanks 4labs! Troutdude I always put my fingers on the gillplate just in front of the actual gill so as not to cause bleeding or damage.Thanks

Irishrover
Irishrover
That is some nice looking water to bottom fish from...smooth....and it looks like it produced well for you. Sea Lions can sure ruin your day!

I really like that bait table and tackle station you have set up on the transom. Must be handy to have all the gear right there.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Gulfstream;n605451 said:
Troutdude I always put my fingers on the gillplate just in front of the actual gill so as not to cause bleeding or damage.Thanks

Whoops. My bad. Very good of you, to help proliferate future generations!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Just AWESOME!

C_Run
C_Run
What a great day! I was wondering how your descending device worked for you. How much weight did you add? I just set up a Shelton descender with a bungee and two pounds of lead for using on my kayak but have not been out yet this year.

G
Gulfstream
2 lbs on the vermilion I let go

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Great job years ago I had a trip similar to that out of Gold Beach the fishing can be epic but the bar crossing can be very dangerous.

Top Bottom