Any good flounder fishing??

C
chrisohm
My cousin has a crazy idea to go for a flounder trip. We are still trying to find 2 more people to fill the charter boat but before I get too involved I was wondering if anyone here has knowledge of the best times to target flounder OFF the Oregon coast?? Of course there will be lings, sea bass and maybe even a salmon if we get lucky. From what I have found online it seems that on the East coast the best time for flounder is in the fall. I assume it would be the same here but what the heck do I know about flounder other than the dink I caught OFF the jetty last year.....

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

F
FishNinja
They have charters that target flounder in Oregon? The flounder here are quite small. What is the motivation for paying a bunch of money to go catch a 2 to 3 pound fish? (most are even smaller) I know they get a few on halibut trips but on rockfishing trips they are fairly uncommon.

C
chrisohm
I'm just fishing for info before I get too involved and commit to a bust trip. Sole and flounder can get to a decent size, then there is that tiny sanddab too with a total limit of 25 fish. The whole thing sounds kinda crazy since he just wants what he says he can't spear while diving, I told him he needs to search the bays a little better but what the heck do I know about diving...other than the fact you should research before you commit. More than likely we would just end up landing lings and sea bass. I'm more than ok with some more ling in the freezer...

R
rainORsnow1
I would think after u hook a couple lings and bass you'll forget all about the flounder. Those lings fight like crazy and so do the bigger bass. Lings and bass taste better anyways IMHO. If u want flounder try fishing from the jetty for perch. I usually catch a few flounder while using sandshrimp. Good luck!

C
chrisohm
rainORsnow1 said:
I would think after u hook a couple lings and bass you'll forget all about the flounder. Those lings fight like crazy and so do the bigger bass. Lings and bass taste better anyways IMHO. If u want flounder try fishing from the jetty for perch. I usually catch a few flounder while using sandshrimp. Good luck!

Did the ling trip during spring break and it was a blast!! We went out of Depoe bay with Dockside. The captain said the catch had been slowing down in the usual spots so he took us out a little farther. Pulling a ling out of 600ft of water is not only a workout but gives you itch to go out again! Still trying to convince him it is a better idea to go for the 5 hour bottom fishing instead. He could still target his stupid flounder while the rest of us catch something worthwhile. Even his sister thinks its a better idea. I just loved pulling in a ling on the bottom and a bass on the shrimp fly, it was insane.

C
christopherbeebe
it's been a good number of years since fishing the Oregon coast. but me and my dad used to target big starry flounder off the south jetty near Coos Bay. and that was in mid July using tiger prawns on the bottom. my dads biggest was about 8lbs with the average being 2 or 3lbs. I remember we caught a bunch. cast after cast. but then again this was 22+ years ago.....