Sandy 3/11

K
Kage
Went out to the Sandy to do some fishing today with a homemade shrimp lure I was eager to try out. No action at Dodge or Oxbow. Was pretty crowded at both places so I first thought that could be a good sign but not this time. The only thing I got, was soaking wet but at least I was out there.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The last six words are the most important. :thumb: I don't do well with crowds...

K
Kage
Thanks Barb, it helps to keep me motivated to keep hitting the water. I'm making it a point to go fishing every chance that I get. This is my 7th year fishing here in Oregon and I've yet to land a salmon or steelhead. I'm hoping lucky number 7 will make this my year to finally catch!

Chromatose
Chromatose
The more time Fishing expedites the Catching Ratio.................:thumb:

K
Kage
Went out again today, no luck but I did explore more sections of water. At this time of the year should I switch over to the Clackamas now? No one I've seen has gotten a bite on the Sandy.

M
Modest_Man
Must be talking to the wrong people. Don't give up on the Sandy, plenty of fish around. Summer steelhead are already showing too (the fish on the right is a summer fish).

20160304_154146_zpskmxb1tk0.jpg

K
Kage
I musn't be fishing in the right spots then. Did you catch those today? I definitely need to keep at it but it sure does get discouraging when I come away without even a bite.

M
Modest_Man
Not today, but in the last week.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Kage said:
but at least I was out there.

That is the best thing to do, keep at it.

P
pinstriper
Chromatose said:
The more time Fishing expedites the Catching Ratio.................:thumb:

Not to be pedantic, but....well, not JUST to be pedantic...more time fishing without success actually dilutes your catch ratio, unless you are also gaining knowledge and experience about when/where/how to fish. Just going to the same unsuitable location under the wrong conditions and doing the same wrong thing over and over won't get you anywhere.

I'm very grateful for all the people I've just met at the water and asked for advice or to review my setup. Sometimes I have it wrong and I can fix it, and sometimes I have it right and that helps know what not to mess with.

K
Kage
That's been my worry, that I may be doing the right things but in not the best spot. I've lost enough spinners to have learned how to fish off the bottom. I can float jigs ok, need to work on mending. Nothing I do seems to ever get a bite except the one time at Cedar Creek with a co-worker who showed me some tips. When I fish my usually spots, nothing at all. Nor have I ever seen anyone else catch from those same spots.

P
pinstriper
Kage said:
That's been my worry, that I may be doing the right things but in not the best spot. I've lost enough spinners to have learned how to fish off the bottom. I can float jigs ok, need to work on mending. Nothing I do seems to ever get a bite except the one time at Cedar Creek with a co-worker who showed me some tips. When I fish my usually spots, nothing at all. Nor have I ever seen anyone else catch from those same spots.

It might be a great location, but for a different species, or different conditions (water level, light, barometric pressure, water color, on and on).

Or it could be the wrong time. Fishing low in the river during high water. Vice versa.

Or you might be doing everything right, but the fish are giving you The Fin. If you don't get any action after 30-60 minutes, do something different. Move. Change the bait. Change the presentation. Change the technique. Do something different.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Kage said:
Thanks Barb, it helps to keep me motivated to keep hitting the water. I'm making it a point to go fishing every chance that I get. This is my 7th year fishing here in Oregon and I've yet to land a salmon or steelhead. I'm hoping lucky number 7 will make this my year to finally catch!
[MENTION=13731]pinstriper[/MENTION]. My comment to Kage was a motivational comment. Nothing more, Nothing Less. I really didn't think my rally warranted a Debate nor Contradiction.

Kage, I have known quite a few that have gone just as long if not longer before the light clicked on. But when it does go on it lasts a life time. Keep going fishing & Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
P
pinstriper
Chromatose said:
Pinstriper. My comment to Kage was a motivational comment. Nothing more, Nothing Less. I really didn't think my rally warranted a Debate nor Contradiction.

Kage, I have know quite a few that have gone just as long if not longer before the light clicked on. But when it does go on it lasts a life time. Keep going fishing!!!

Sorry if you felt "called out". I had no such intention. I was simply making the point that asking for help or looking for what's missing might be a valuable idea.

If you feel that raw about it, please feel free to not debate or contradict the point.

B
BaldTexan
The best thing I did when I moved here before I ever wet a line for salmon/steelhead besides the obvious Internet research reading, was to go down to a popular fishing spot and observe, then introduce myself and ask a lot of questions to the guys that were catching fish. Most are friendly and will give you good info. After a couple of days observing and chatting I had a real plenty of info on water to fish, best times per the tides, equipment and terminal gear, rigging, etc. I then started hitting the water 3 times per week, exploring, trying different setups, and eventually caught my first steelhead and salmon all by my lonesome. Then went on a few guided trips to learn new water and techniques.

Do whatever you can to increase the learning curve. I enjoy fishing away from the crowds but learned a lot faster in the beginning by fishing near "catchers".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
pinstriper
BaldTexan said:
The best thing I did when I moved here before I ever wet a line for salmon/steelhead besides the obvious Internet research reading, was to go down to a popular fishing spot and observe, then introduce myself and ask a lot of questions to the guys that were catching fish. Most are friendly and will give you good info. After a couple of days observing and chatting I had a real plenty of info on water to fish, best times per the tides, equipment and terminal gear, rigging, etc. I then started hitting the water 3 times per week, exploring, trying different setups, and eventually caught my first steelhead and salmon all by my lonesome. Then went on a few guided trips to learn new water and techniques.

Do whatever you can to increase the learning curve. I enjoy fishing away from the crowds but learned a lot faster in the beginning by fishing near "catchers".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. It was a retired lady at St. Louis Ponds that showed me how to grab a Bluegill and not get jabbed with the spines. I showed her my setup and she cut it off and redid it for me.

It was a guy at Detroit lake who showed me how to gut a trout.

I've also shown guys my setup and had them say "you got it right", even though nobody was catching anything.

If I'm going to just observe for a while, I'll approach them and ask them if they mind me watching them for a little while because I'm new at it and trying to learn. To me, it would be rude to be lurking there, they don't know if you're about to crowd them over, or steal their gear or whatever. I've never had anyone tell me to buzz off. If I leave before they do, I've given them the rest of my worms or eggs that I couldn't use.

K
Kage
99% of the time I fish alone and keep to myself but I guess I should be trying to learn from other people I see out there. I have noted the gear and/or setup of the people around me for comparison. I could benefit immensely by the experience of the other anglers out there. Thanks everyone for the advice and info. If you're out on the Sandy, maybe we'll bump into each other.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Kage, I've been fishing the coast lately but the Sandy is my 2nd choice, hopefully we'll meet up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

K
Kage
Nice, we can swap stories and maybe you teach me a few things.